Empty Cell calculation

  1. #1
    Elan
    Guest

    Empty Cell calculation

    I have a column with formulas.
    When formulas return empty cell (""), the chart seems to handle
    it as a 0. I do not want to display those data points at all.
    I tried to use NA() instead of .
    The chart seemed to be o.k. but now I have a problem finding MAX/MIN Values
    of this column because I have there now both numbers and #N/A.
    Thanks in advance,
    Elan

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Empty Cell calculation

    Elan,

    1) Use a second column of formulas to find your MAX and MIN values

    2) Use an array formula (entered with Ctrl-Shift-Enter) like

    =MAX(IF(ISERROR(A1:A5),0,A1:A5))

    which will ignore the #N/A values.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Empty Cell calculation

    "" is not an empty cell, it is a zero length string. Worksheet formulas
    cannot return empty cells. Text (including zero length strings) plot as
    zero. #N/A doesn't plot, but also doesn't break connecting lines. If
    you need the cell to behave EXACTLY like an empty cell, you will have to
    delete the formula. For a dynamic worksheet the process of deleting or
    restoring formulas as needed could be automated via a macro tied to a
    change event.

    Jerry