Copy GetPivotData Function

  1. #1
    Elaine
    Guest

    Copy GetPivotData Function

    I want to copy the GetPivotDataFunction from outside the Report.
    When I create the GetPivotData function with the Generate GetPivotData
    feature turned on and I trend/copy the function it does not update the cell
    reference from the PivotTable Report.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thank you again for your help.

    Elaine

    --
    Thank you... Elaine

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Copy GetPivotData Function

    Elaine,

    You are doing nothing wrong, it's just that your expectations exceed the
    capabilities of that function.

    When you use the GETPIVOTDATA function, you can create the initial function
    call by typing an equal sign, then selecting a cell within your pivot table.
    It will create a function like

    =GETPIVOTDATA(Data_Field,Pivot_Table,Field1,Item1)

    but those get filled out with constants
    =GETPIVOTDATA("Field 1",$A$3,"Unit 1","Fred")

    You can change any of the constants to a cell reference

    =GETPIVOTDATA("Field 1",$A$3,A4,B4)

    and then when you copy it, it will update properly.

    Note though, that when you hide or show detail, causing the pivot table to
    expand or contract, the references that you use will not properly update.
    To get around that, it is better to create a table of key values outside the
    pivot table that the GETPIVOTDATA function can reference.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Elaine
    Guest

    Re: Copy GetPivotData Function

    Thank you so much for your help, Bernie. You cleared up my confusion.

    Elaine