VLOOKUP Function using Data Ranges.

  1. #1
    Cal
    Guest

    VLOOKUP Function using Data Ranges.

    Hello,
    I have just learned about the VLOOKUP function recently and think that
    it might be what I need to use to make a certain task much much
    easier.

    What I have now is a master list (sort of like a key) it tells me
    types of products that our clients own. These different products are
    grouped by a number. For example:

    Tide Laundry Soap might be a 1 because it is a soap.
    Purex Laundry Soap would also be a 1
    While Paper plates would be a 2 for consumable (for example).

    Here is a picture:
    http://www.jungleduck.com/pictures/excelexample.jpg

    I have 6 groups numbered 1-5 and one group is labled with a blank
    cell.
    What I usually do is copy & paste the client's info into Excel
    & then I type 1,2,3,4,5 or ___ next to each product, then I sort
    it and then I copy that data into a "pretty" spreadsheet that is
    organized for my boss to calculate some information about the client.

    What is very time consuming is this "coding" part. I wanted to use IF
    statements to put the numbers into the cells for me. I found out that
    I cannot use more than 7/8 items in a nested IF, since I have over a
    1000 products to list VLOOKUP seemed to make the most sence.
    I understand how it works, but I cannot get it TO work.

    I believe my function looked like =VLOOKUP(C3,Products,2,TRUE)
    Because I wanted the data in C3 (and C4...C5 respectively) to be coded
    according to column 2 in my ranged data table.
    However when I use the ranged data and put the function into D3 (the
    Code column) it gives me "N/A." The ranged data is in the next sheet
    over but I can't get it to use it for some reason.
    What am I doing wrong & is there an easier way to get this coding
    done? It is very time consuming and of course vulnerable to user
    error. I wanted to make some sort of formula or macro so I can simply
    push a button and get the coding part done isntantly.

    Also, my last question is can I somehow link the VLOOKUP to a
    different workbook? Then I can just update my master list instead of
    having to open 100s of different client workbooks to add in a new
    product.

    I hope this wasn't too confusing, it seems like it should work, I just
    can't get it to work. Thank you in advance, esp if you read this all!

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: VLOOKUP Function using Data Ranges.

    Try

    =VLOOKUP(C3,Products,2,FALSE)

    Post again if this wasn't the problem

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    VLOOKUP Function using Data Ranges.

    Hi!

    This sounds like something that I would have to "eye-ball"
    but you can try this and see if it makes a difference:

    >=VLOOKUP(C3,Products,2,TRUE)

    Change to:

    =VLOOKUP(C3,Products,2,FALSE)

    Are you sure that "Products" points to the correct place?

    Biff

  4. #4
    OVERLOAD
    Guest

    RE: VLOOKUP Function using Data Ranges.

    I hate to state the obvious but if the array 'Products' is not sorted in
    ascending order it won't work. It has to be sorted for the column you are
    looking up - not the column you are returning data from.
    The difference between using 'FALSE' or 'TRUE' is simply when the item being
    looked up can't be found does it return 'N/A' or return the value of the
    'next record'.

    Also it's easy to use an external reference. Simply replace 'product' with
    an external reference to an array in another spreadsheet (assume the
    spreadsheet is in the same directory on the same computer).

    Leave lots of blank rows in the array at the end so you can add new products
    and resort the array. The other spreadsheets when they are opened will
    update the external references.
    see:
    http://205.209.16.190/excel/vlookup.jpg

  5. #5
    Cal
    Guest

    re:VLOOKUP Function using Data Ranges.

    Thank you guys SO much for your help. I managed to get it to work..
    almost.
    I have 2 questions more

    First one is, I have a bunch of different items that have a percent in
    their name. Even though they have different names is there anyway to
    make it so when it sees a percent sign (%) it codes it always the
    same. Should I just do a % with a code in my Products range and then
    change VLOOKUP to "true"?

    Second question is, I have some items that are coded with a blank cell
    because there are so many different kinds. The VLOOKUP puts a 0 in
    instead of a blank cell. This is not a big deal but is there anyway
    to make it put a blank cell instead?

    THANK YOU so much for your help, I must be truelly a computer geek as
    this breakthru has made my weekend! x5

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: re:VLOOKUP Function using Data Ranges.

    For the second question, wrap your VLOOKUP formula in an IF
    statement...........like:

    =IF(VLOOKUP(A3,I1:J4,2,FALSE)=0,"",VLOOKUP(A3,I1:J4,2,FALSE))

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    OVERLOAD
    Guest

    re:VLOOKUP Function using Data Ranges.

    Both are easy.
    1. Assuming the "%" is anywhere within your text string simply replace the
    cell reference in the lookup table with a formula which the result is either
    the cell or "%", then 'lookup' that.
    =VLOOKUP(IF(ISERROR(FIND("%",A2)),A2,"%"),$D$2:$E$23,2,FALSE)
    then for any value with a '%' anywhere in the text the lookup will look for
    "%" instead of A2. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A "%" in your lookup table.

    2. Instead of leaving the return value in your lookup table 'blank' - or a
    'null' value (ie. nothing in the cell), put a 'space' in the cell. It will
    now be a specific character - although it will look like an empty cell.