Using Symbols in Drop Down Lists

  1. #1
    Sumeet Benawra
    Guest

    Using Symbols in Drop Down Lists

    Can anyone help me with this simple problem? I would like to create a drop
    down list with a "tick" mark and a "x" mark as the available values. These
    are symbols from the wingdings font available from insert->symbols menu.

    When I originally created the reference cells with the symbols to use as my
    source for the drop down list, the symbols appear as characters such as "û"
    or "ü" in the actual cell that I implemented as my list box. I tried to then
    adjust my list box settings in the data->validation menu by typing in the
    actual character code for the symbol in the source box; For example, by
    pressing alt+252 which is the character code for the tick mark that I want to
    use. This still did not show the tick mark.

    Is there any functionality within Excel that would allow me to use symbols
    for a drop down list?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Using Symbols in Drop Down Lists

    The data validation dropdown uses the Tahoma font, which doesn't have a
    check mark character. You could a combo box from the control toolbox,
    and change its font.

    If you can use programming, you can use a combo box to display the data
    validation list, as shown here:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List