Named SUM Formula with relative refernce(s)

  1. #1
    Werner Rohrmoser
    Guest

    Named SUM Formula with relative refernce(s)

    Dear all,

    Environment: WIN XP SP1, Excel XP SP2
    Subject: Named SUM Formula with relative references

    Problem:
    When I use a named formula like this one "=SUM(!K3:!M3)" to
    sum the three cells left of "N3" the formula is calculated instantly.

    When I use a named formula like this one "=SUMME(!F3;!J3;!N3;!R3)" to
    to sum non continious ranges in "S3" the formula is not
    calculated instantly, F9 doesn't work, only Ctrl+Alt+F9 updates "S3".

    When I use a named formula like this one
    "=SUMME(Sales!F3;Sales!J3;Sales!N3;Sales!R3)", including the sheet name,
    it calculates instantly again.
    But now this formula is limited to the sheet "Sales", which is not
    what I want, because I'd like to have a global formula, which I
    can use on every sheet, in every column and which recalculates instantly.

    Has anyone an idea?

    Best Regards
    Werner

    Are my findings corect, or id there a way to use Is this

  2. #2

    Re: Named SUM Formula with relative refernce(s)

    xl2003 (USA settings) wouldn't let me enter:
    =SUM(!K3:!M3)
    I had to change it to:
    =SUM(K3:M3)
    (dropping the ! marks)

    if you did
    =summe(f3;j3;n3;r3)
    does that work ok?

    And make sure you have calculation set for automatic:
    tools|options|calculation tab

  3. #3
    Charles Williams
    Guest

    Re: Named SUM Formula with relative refernce(s)

    There are some Excel bugs when you use this syntax (!K3 or !$K$3) within
    defined names.
    I would strongly recommend that you avoid using it altogether.

    An alternative is to use INDIRECT. To achieve a relative reference with
    INDIRECT you have to use R1C1 notation like this
    =SUM(INDIRECT("R[-12]C",FALSE),INDIRECT("R[-12]C[1]",FALSE))

    the disadvantage is that INDIRECT is volatile and so gets recalculated at
    every recalculation.

    regards
    Charles
    Decision Models