Excel2000 A working formula has {braces} which disappear. Why?

  1. #1
    SpudHutton
    Guest

    Excel2000 A working formula has {braces} which disappear. Why?

    I have a worksheet with a working formula that I want to use elsewhere.
    But when I click on it and click on the formula bar the braces disappear.
    If I type it in with or without braces I get #VALUE! and need to Edit | Undo
    Typing.
    How can I enter a formula like this?
    {=SUM(IF($C$4:$C$34="EA",$D$4:$D$34,0)) }
    It adds the values between D4 and D34, but only for those rows where the
    value in column C is EA.
    I realise that DSUM does something similar, but I don't want the criteria
    elsewhere on the sheet, just in the formula.
    I'm using Excel 2000 9.0.6926 SP-3.

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Excel2000 A working formula has {braces} which disappear. Why?

    Those brackets indicate an array formula, which is typed like a regular
    formula but then committed by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter. When done
    correctly, Excel adds the brackets around the formula text that you've typed

    Therefore, to use this this formula elsewhere, copy & paste it as you
    ordinarily would, then, after editing it to reflect the desired ranges,
    simply press Ctrl-Shift-Enter

  3. #3
    º¼ÖÝÈË
    Guest

    Re: Excel2000 A working formula has {braces} which disappear. Why?

    array formula
    Ctrl-Shift-Enter

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel2000 A working formula has {braces} which disappear. Why?

    For just one condition

    =SUMIF($C$4:$C$33,"EA",$D$4:$D$34)

    which is not an array formula

    RP