Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

  1. #1
    Pandorad
    Guest

    Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

    How do I get negative numbers in brackets if <Format<Cells<Numbers drop down
    box does not show negative numbers in parenthesis. My spreadsheet shows
    negative numbers with a '-' minus sign.

    Thank you
    Sheron

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

    Try custom formatting
    #,##0;"("#,##0")"

    to display a negative value as (20) or
    #,##0;-"("#,##0")"
    to display -(20)
    Regards,
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

    Sheron

    If bracketed negatives are not available in Format>Cells>Number.....

    This is a function of your Regional Settings in Windows OS.

    Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional and Language Settings>Regional
    Options>Customize>Currency>Negative Currency Format. Click on drop-down arrow
    and select the ($1.1)

    Apply and OK>Apply your way out.

    You will have to close Excel then re-open to see effects.

    You will then be able to choose that format.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Pandorad
    Guest

    RE: Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

    Hi Gord Dibben & Alan,

    Thanks for your earlier response. I changed the settings in control panel.
    Initially it had the '-' and it now shows (), however, my drop down box in
    numbers format still doesn't have the () and will not allow me to format
    negatives in parenthesis. Can you figure out what else I might need to do?

    Thanks so much for your help

    regards
    --
    Pandorad

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

    You changed the settings under the "Currency" tab in Regional Options?

    Gord

  6. #6
    Pandorad
    Guest

    Re: Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

    The program is at the office so I will check on Monday. Hope that works.
    Thanks again
    --
    Pandorad

  7. #7
    Pandorad
    Guest

    Re: Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

    Hi Gord,

    Thank you so much for your help. I changed the setting under 'currency' and
    it worked. I'm so relieved. My spreadsheets look more professional now

    Warm regards

    --
    Pandorad

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Negative numbers in parenthesis if not shown in drop down box

    Great news.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Gord