Lookup data

  1. #1
    Tosca
    Guest

    Lookup data

    Hello everyone

    I have Excel 2003 and a grid of data. Columns A, C and E contain unique
    data (one instance of each data value in each column and within the whole
    grid) and the data in each of the columns is sorted alpha-numerically (A & B
    relate to each other as do C & D and E & F). I need to be able to lookup a
    particular value in the whole grid and return the contents of the cell
    immediately to the right of the cell that matches the data. The match will
    be exact. I had thought about using VLOOKUP but that can't be used to refer
    to the whole grid of data (so far as I'm aware) - it would have to refer to
    data contained in columns A & B or C & D or E & F. The data that is being
    sought may be in any of these columns and this is out of my control.

    I'm sure that this is simple - but it's beyond me! How can I perform this
    lookup?

    Thanks in anticipation.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Lookup data

    Assuming the source data is in cols A to F, from row1 down in Sheet1
    (with unique data as stated)

    In Sheet2
    ---------
    With the look-up value in A1,

    Put in B1:

    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!A:A,0)),IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!C:C,0)),IF(ISNA(MAT
    CH(A1,Sheet1!E:E,0)),"",INDEX(Sheet1!F:F,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!E:E,0))),INDEX(Shee
    t1!D:D,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!C:C,0))),INDEX(Sheet1!B:B,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!A:A,0)))

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:#[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Lookup data

    try
    if(iserror(match(comp,A:A,0),ifiserror(match(comp(C:C,0),vlookup(comp,E:F,2,false),vlookup(comp,C;D,2,false),vlookup(comp,A:B,2)

  4. #4
    Tosca
    Guest

    Re: Lookup data

    Wow - thanks for the help with these meaty formulae! I'll try them both and
    see what happens.

    A further "complication" is that, although I mentioned three pairs of
    columns of data (A & B, C & D and E & F), the columns are likely to extend
    so I could have 50 or 100 pairs of columns! Is there any way that this idea
    could be extended easily? I see that each of these solutions refers
    specifically to various columns between A and F. I know that I could extend
    the formulae "manually" (to include column AF, for instance) but the more
    complicated the formula, the more likely I am to make a mistake and have
    problems debugging it.

    I guess an ideal formula would include something like <A:AF> which would
    refer to the whole grid of data. Logic says (to me!) that, once the
    matching bit of information is found, couldn't OFFSET be used to determine
    the data value one cell to the right?

    Thanks again for any further input.

  5. #5
    Alan Beban
    Guest

    Re: Lookup data

    Tosca wrote:
    > Hello everyone
    >
    > I have Excel 2003 and a grid of data. Columns A, C and E contain unique
    > data (one instance of each data value in each column and within the whole
    > grid) and the data in each of the columns is sorted alpha-numerically (A & B
    > relate to each other as do C & D and E & F). I need to be able to lookup a
    > particular value in the whole grid and return the contents of the cell
    > immediately to the right of the cell that matches the data. The match will
    > be exact. I had thought about using VLOOKUP but that can't be used to refer
    > to the whole grid of data (so far as I'm aware) - it would have to refer to
    > data contained in columns A & B or C & D or E & F. The data that is being
    > sought may be in any of these columns and this is out of my control.
    >
    > I'm sure that this is simple - but it's beyond me! How can I perform this
    > lookup?
    >
    > Thanks in anticipation.

    Unless I'm missing something this question was asked in this forum on
    April 29th in a thread entitled "vlookup from multiple columns",
    although that post referred to Columns B, D, and F instead of A, C, and
    E. I posted a response (as did Peo Sjoblom) that day. Here is a copy of
    my response:

    <<One way, if your data is in a range named "Tbl2" and your lookup value
    appears in Cell I2, you could insert the following formula in a cell and
    copy down as many rows as there are rows in Tbl2 (I refer to this as the
    output range). The sought result(s) will be returned to the cell(s) in
    the output range corresponding to the row(s) of the sought value in Tbl2.

    =IF(ISNA(INDEX(INDEX(Tbl2,ROW(A1),0),1,MATCH($I$2,INDEX(Tbl2,ROW(A1),0),0)+1)),"",INDEX(INDEX(Tbl2,ROW(A1),0),1,MATCH($I$2,INDEX(Tbl2,ROW(A1),0),0)+1))

    This formula assumes that there are no duplicate numbers in B,D,F of any
    single row of Tbl2. I haven't considered whether it can be readily
    modified to deal with duplicates in a single row.

    For any who might use the formulas from the freely downloadable file at
    http:/home.pacbell.net/beban, the following formula can be entered in a cell

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT(ArrayMatch(I2,Tbl2,"A")),0,1)

    This formula assumes that there are no duplicate numbers in Columns
    B,D,F. If there are it can be modified to

    =OFFSET(INDIRECT(INDEX(ArrayMatch(I2,Tbl2,"A"),n,1)),0,1)

    where n is the number of the occurrence of the lookup value, counting
    across the first row of Tbl2 left to right, then down to the next row
    and continuing left to right, etc. >>

    I tested it only on a 6-column table, but I don't see any reason it
    shouldn't work on the extended table you describe.

    Alan Beban

  6. #6
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Lookup data

    Do Columns B, D, and F contain numerical values? If so, try...

    =SUMIF(A1:E100,G1,B1:F100)

    OR

    =SUMIF(A:E,G1,B:F)

    ....where G1 contains your lookup value. Adjust the ranges accordingly.

    Hope this helps!

    In article <#[email protected]>,

  7. #7
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Lookup data

    Maybe...

    =INDEX(A1:F10,MATCH(TRUE,MMULT(--(A1:F10=G1),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(A1:F10))*0+
    1)>0,0),SUM((A1:F10=G1)*(COLUMN(A1:F10)-COLUMN(A1)+1),0)+1)

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER.

    Hope this helps!

    In article <#[email protected]>,

  8. #8
    Tosca
    Guest

    Re: Lookup data

    Hi Alan and Domenic

    I was unaware of the fact that this had been addressed recently! It's ages
    since I visited this forum. I'll certainly have a look at your suggestions.

    The data that is being sought is text in the format <GHI - P56> and the data
    that should be returned is also text. There will be only one occurrence of
    <GHI - P56> in the whole grid of data.

    Thank you for your time.