Combining text strings

  1. #1
    Hayley
    Guest

    Combining text strings

    i am trying to use concatenate to i have a cell:
    Woods T 150/1

    i need it to look like
    Woods T, 150/1

    can anyone tell me how i do this
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Combining text strings

    Assuming you have
    in A1: Woods T
    in B1:150/1

    Put in C1: =TRIM(A1&", "&B1)
    C1 returns: Woods T, 150/1

    Copy C1 down
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Combining text strings

    Slight tweak, for more consistency in output,
    Put instead in C1: =TRIM(A1)&", "&TRIM(B1)

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    Hayley
    Guest

    Re: Combining text strings

    Thankks Max,

    But the whole string is in A1

    A1 = Woods T 150/1
    I need B1 to read Woods T, 150/1

  5. #5
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Combining text strings

    Hayley wrote...
    >But the whole string is in A1
    >
    >A1 = Woods T 150/1
    >I need B1 to read Woods T, 150/1

    If the comma should be just before the second space, try

    =REPLACE(A1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1),0,",")

    If the comma should be just before the last space, try

    =REPLACE(A1,LOOKUP(2,1/(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"
    &LEN(A1))),1)=" "),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1)))),0,",")

    If the comma should be before the space to the left of the first
    numeral, try the *array* *formula*

    =REPLACE(A1,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,
    ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)),0)-1,0,",")

  6. #6
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Combining text strings

    My choice would be to do Data > TextToColumns with a space delimiter to blow
    the string apart into three columns.......then use this formula to
    CONCATENATE it back together,

    =A1&" "&B1&", "&C1

    then Copy > PasteSpecial > Values......

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  7. #7
    Hayley
    Guest

    Re: Combining text strings

    Thank you that worked great never used this before and you've just saved me
    hours of work.

    Thanks Again
    Hayley