compare two columns and remove duplicates

  1. #1
    Moni39
    Guest

    compare two columns and remove duplicates

    I have a list of phone numbers from the do not cal list and a number from
    another list. I want to compare the two lists and look for dupes to I know
    who I can call. I would like the duplicates from the two lists to be
    identified and the other numbers not on the do not call list to be accessable
    in order to call.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: compare two columns and remove duplicates

    Take a look at

    http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: compare two columns and remove duplicates

    You would could use VLOOUP the check the do not call list
    and place an "X" if found there. Then you can use AutoFilter
    to filter out "X" rows.

    VLOOKUP
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

    AutoFilter basics (Data, Autofilter) at contextures.com
    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

    If this is the National Do Not Call List, it will not scale very well
    with Excel, you would need a database.
    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: compare two columns and remove duplicates

    COUNTIF suggested by John via Chip Pearson's site is better
    for finding duplicates than VLOOKUP, but use of AutoFilter will
    get you the second part -- a list of uninformed people who didn't
    get on the do not call list.

    Wonder how misspelling of VLOOKUP got through my spelling
    check anyway.