Subtracting numbers

  1. #1
    Annette
    Guest

    Subtracting numbers

    I know this is simple, but I'm having trouble getting it right.

    two columns of numbers ... the first column is for figures for 2004 and the
    second is for figures for 2005.

    What I want to do is show the difference in a third column of increase or
    decrease.

    example:

    2004 2005 diff
    3.00 0 -3
    2.00 1.00 -1
    3.00 5.00 2

    Can any help? (Thanks!)

  2. #2
    Annette
    Guest

    Re: Subtracting numbers

    Shoot .. .I forgot a key bit of information ... sometimes the number in
    column two are negatives and sometimes column one negatives ...

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Subtracting numbers

    Put this in C1 and copy down.............

    =IF(B1>A1,B1-A1,(A1-B1)*-1)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4