Unwanted character

  1. #1

    Unwanted character

    Hi Group,

    How can I use excel to convert '041255354412 into 041255354412

    That is omit the "'" from the string of numbers.

    kind regards

    Martina

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Unwanted character

    Highlight the column then do Edit > Replace > Find what: '.........then
    Replace with: (leave blank) > Replace all

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Unwanted character

    Hi Martina,
    The leading apostrophe is not hurting anything, it is
    an indicator that you have a text value. It is not seen
    in macro. You will only see it at the formula bar.

    The following macro will convert a selection to the formatted
    value of the cell as a text string.

    You would format the column as Text before running
    the macro. (however the macro will format within the selection)

    Sub AS_TEXT()
    'DMcRitchie, code/join.txt, 2001-01-23, programming
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim Make_A_Break 'allow change while running
    On Error Resume Next 'In case no cells in selection
    Dim vString As String
    Dim cell As Range
    For Each cell In Intersect(Selection, ActiveSheet.UsedRange)
    vString = cell.Text
    cell.NumberFormat = "@"
    cell.Value = vString
    Make_A_Break = DoEvents 'yield to system tasks
    Next cell
    'simplify formatting
    Selection.NumberFormat = "@"
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

    If not familiar with installing and using macros, see
    ---
    HTH,