Displaying names only once

  1. #1
    Gary T
    Guest

    Displaying names only once

    hi,

    I have a list of names that lloks like the following:

    George
    George
    George
    George
    Stephen
    Stephen
    Sam
    Sam
    Ronald
    Ronald
    Ronald

    In another worksheet, I want to display each of the names that appears in
    this list.

    how do I do this using functions?

    Many Thanks,

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Highlight your range of names. From the main menu, select Data>Filter> Advanced Filter.

    Select "Copy to another location"

    Enter the address of a cell on your current sheet (you can only filter to the same sheet).

    Check "Unique records only"

    click OK

    Copy/paste this filtered data to a new sheet.

    HTH

    Bruce

    this is a test post to see if it makes it from the Joseph Rubin ExelTip.com forum to the newsgroups.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Displaying names only once

    I would personally use data>filter>advanced filter and unique records, if
    you start the procedure from the other sheet it will work

    http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

    same page a little further explains how to apply the filter from another
    sheet

    or you could use a formula

    =INDEX(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$40,MATCH(0,COUNTIF($B$1:B1,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$40),0))

    where B2:B40 is the list and B2 is the cell where you put the formula (you
    always need to refer to the cell above (B1), enter it with ctrl + shift &
    enter and copy it down until you get an error

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Franz
    Guest

    Re: Displaying names only once

    "Gary T" <[email protected]>ha scritto nel messaggio
    [email protected]

    > hi,
    >
    > I have a list of names that lloks like the following:
    >
    > George
    > George
    > George
    > George
    > Stephen
    > Stephen
    > Sam
    > Sam
    > Ronald
    > Ronald
    > Ronald
    >

    > In another worksheet, I want to display each of the names that
    > appears in this list.

    You can use Advanced Filter with a check in the checkbox in the dialogbox
    (it should sound as "Unic Copy of records", but I'm not sure becauseI'm not
    using English version of Excel... :-) )

    --
    Hoping to be helpful...

    Regards

    Franz

    To reply translate from italian InVento (no capital letters)