Help with formulae

  1. #1
    Philip Atherton
    Guest

    Help with formulae

    I am trying to work out the formula for the following:

    In two columns I have eight 20 assignments with scores added to each
    assignment).

    I then want to automatically grade these scores for each assignment where a
    grade will have a different range of values. If the score falls into one of
    the 12 grades, I want the cell to count one.

    I've tried IF statements, LOOKUP but doesn't seem to work. Any help would be
    appreciate. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Jonah
    Guest

    Re: Help with formulae

    Try COUNTIF(Az:Fy,"score")

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Help with formulae

    Assume the "Assignment - Score" table below is
    in Sheet1, cols A and B, data from row2 down:

    *** Sc
    111 4
    112 10
    113 20
    etc

    (*** = Assignment, Sc = score)

    Assume your "grade" table is in Sheet2,
    in A1: C13, data from row2 down, viz.:

    L U Gr
    0 3 X
    7 12 Y
    15 20 Z
    45 55 G
    75 85 P
    etc

    (L = lower, U = Upper, Gr = Grade)

    where the 12 score ranges - grade buckets need not necessarily be continuous
    nor sorted. There could be gaps or perhaps even some overlaps between the
    various score ranges. The alpha grades: X, Y, Z ... are actually not
    relevant here.

    In Sheet1
    -----------
    Put in C2 and array-enter (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):

    =IF(B2="","",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(1,(B2>=Sheet2!$A$2:$A$13)*(B2<=Sheet2!$B$2:$B
    $13),0)),1,0))

    Copy C2 down
    (can copy ahead of expected data input in col B)

    Col C will return "1"'s where the score in col B falls within any one score
    range - grade bucket in Sheet2, "0"s otherwise, except for empty cells in
    col B which will return blanks: "'.

    Adapt to suit ..
    --
    Rgds