How can you set a value in one cell from another cell in Excel?

  1. #1
    Gaitej
    Guest

    How can you set a value in one cell from another cell in Excel?

    I am trying to transfer information from a column of figures, generated
    automatically on a daily basis, to a day to day record on the same worksheet.
    I am aware that I can use the copy/paste function to build up the day to day
    record but I wanted to know if there was a way of building it automatically.

  2. #2
    Alok
    Guest

    RE: How can you set a value in one cell from another cell in Excel?

    Gaitej,
    Could you be more specific about what you are trying to do. Thanks.
    Alok Joshi

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: How can you set a value in one cell from another cell in Excel?

    Not sure what you're trying to copy/paste FROM where TO where, but if you do
    Tools > Macro > RecordNewMacro and then do the procedure manually one time,
    you will then have a recorded Macro and next time just run it to do the
    job.........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gaitej
    Guest

    Re: How can you set a value in one cell from another cell in Excel

    Thanks for the reply.

    I have two worksheets, one - called Valuations - that has fixed cell
    references storing stock prices updated daily by MSN Money, the other -
    called Historical Prices - that stores the values historically arranged from
    todays date on the left and the earliest record on the right (may have to
    change that to transpose downwards as I am fast approaching the 256 column
    limit).

    Everyday, it is necessary to go into the Historical Prices worksheet and
    create two new columns to the left, switch to the Valuations worksheet, copy
    today's values and then paste them on the Historical Prices sheet.

    This is OK if I am around - however, I will be increasingly away, sometimes
    in buildings that have no phone connections - and the other members of my
    family who are willing to take on this task don't fully understand what is
    required and work through a two page help document to perform the operation,
    usually necessitating a phone call if they click in the wrong cell, highlight
    the wrong ranges, etc. Hence the need for automation!

    I have created a macro to create the additional cells, copying the formulae
    from the previous column, but cannot work out a satisfactory function that
    will update only if the date at the top of the column is todays date.

    For example, if I used the IF function, the formula would read
    =IF(A32=TODAY(),'Valuations'!B5,....) the last bit being the problem.
    Because, if A32 doesn't equal today's date, you cannot get Excel to just keep
    the value that it has recorded for the cell.

    Have you any suggestions? If any of the above is unclear, I will be happy
    to explain further.

  5. #5
    Gaitej