Numeric formatting problem

  1. #1
    Metolius Dad
    Guest

    Numeric formatting problem

    When a calculation goes out to 10 decimal places I can use the cell format to
    limit it to 2 places. But when I add (cancatenate ?) text to that
    calculation it goes out to 10 places again. How can I make this not happen.

    example:
    =1/3 shows 0.333333333333
    =1/3 shows 0.33 when cell formatted to 2 decimals
    =1/3&" ml/hr" shows 0.333333333333 ml/hr EVEN THOUGH THE CELL IS FORMATTED
    to only 2 decimal places.

    TIA for any help.
    Sam

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Numeric formatting problem

    Changing number format doesn't change what's stored in the cell, and
    functions operate on stored values, not displayed values. Try using the
    TEXT() function instead:

    =TEXT(1/3,"0.00") & "ml/hr"

  3. #3
    Vasant Nanavati
    Guest

    Re: Numeric formatting problem

    Numeric formatting applies only to numbers and not text.

    Try:

    =TEXT(1/3,"0.00")&" ml/hr"

    --

    Vasant

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Numeric formatting problem

    Then, there's always the "other" option of rounding:

    =ROUND(1/3,2)&" ml/hr"
    --
    HTH,

    RD