Fill array with fn variables that vary across and down?

  1. #1
    Llurker
    Guest

    Fill array with fn variables that vary across and down?

    I have an RxC array which contains formulas in each cell. The formula has a
    variable that varies vertically & horizontally, and a variable that varies
    horizontally by row: E.g:
    =E2-$O$2, =F2-$O$2, ...
    =E3-$O$3, =F3-$O$3, ...
    I would like to find a better way to populate the array as I add rows. I
    would greatly appreciate a shortcut or macro or ?? that will help me do
    this. The first variable works properly when I fill right and down, but the
    second one ($O$2) varies by row, but then stays the same across the width of
    the array. Thanks much!

    dmn

  2. #2
    IC
    Guest

    Re: Fill array with fn variables that vary across and down?

    "Llurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >I have an RxC array which contains formulas in each cell. The formula has a
    >variable that varies vertically & horizontally, and a variable that varies
    >horizontally by row: E.g:
    > =E2-$O$2, =F2-$O$2, ...
    > =E3-$O$3, =F3-$O$3, ...
    > I would like to find a better way to populate the array as I add rows. I
    > would greatly appreciate a shortcut or macro or ?? that will help me do
    > this. The first variable works properly when I fill right and down, but
    > the second one ($O$2) varies by row, but then stays the same across the
    > width of the array. Thanks much!

    If I understand correctly =E2-$O2 should help.

    Ian

  3. #3
    Llurker
    Guest

    Re: Fill array with fn variables that vary across and down?

    Hi, Ian--

    Thanks, but that's not quite the right thing. Sorry if I mis-explained.
    $O2 will vary the 2 across and down as I fill the array, or add a row.
    What I'm looking for is something that will vary it down, but keep it
    constant in each row:
    row 1 (4 cols): $O$2, $O$2, $O$2, $O$2
    row 2 (4 cols): $O$3, $O$3, $O$3, $O$3
    row 3 (4 cols): $O$4, $O$4, $O$4, $O$4
    etc.
    I tried doing something like =D2-$ORow(), which I hoped would resolve to
    D2-$O3 (for example).
    Is there a way to create a cell reference like this?

    Thank you for your help!

    dmn

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Llurker
    Guest

    Re: Fill array with fn variables that vary across and down?

    I figured out that I can use the offset function to do what I need. That
    allows me to vary the row and keep the column offset fixed for as wide an
    array as I need.

    =E2-offset($O2,0,5) this formula is the same in all fields of the array; it
    varies by row but not by column.