Paste Functions and Update info

  1. #1
    jackle
    Guest

    Paste Functions and Update info

    I am having an issue with a worksheet that reads and displyas info from an
    SQL view/table. It should read the info and display, then I have a function
    in the last column that reads the date for each record (row) and VLOOKUP's
    another worksheet to display a name based on that date (=IF(E469<>0,
    VLOOKUP(I469,'Traveler Color'!$A$3:$B$106,2,FALSE), " ")). As the worksheet
    is updated, i curntely have the rows moving up or down (depending upon dates,
    etc.). Then the functions reference the old cells and don't update the
    correct info. How can i get the functions to be correct. And if the row count
    fluctuates, I don't get #REF! errors because the fuctions were deleted at the
    end of the list durring updates? If you can follow that and tell me where I'm
    going wrong, can you let me know? Thanks
    --
    humanoid/earthling

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Paste Functions and Update info

    One way to immunize a formula to row deletions & insertions is to use the
    offset function. Let's say your formula is in col Z, you'd use the following
    formula to refer to the same row in cols E & I

    =IF(OFFSET(Z2,0,-21)<>0, VLOOKUP(OFFSET(Z2,0,-18),'Travel
    Color'!$A$3:$B$106,2,FALSE), " ")

  3. #3
    jackle
    Guest

    RE: Paste Functions and Update info

    That looks cool. What would be the best way to keep those functiions strapped
    to the cells? As rows get deleted (and moved up) thru the update, we
    sometimes "run out" of pasted functions and have to add more. It doesn't
    seem that were have our Data Range Properties set correctly.
    --
    humanoid/earthling