Excel database

  1. #1
    Missgabby22
    Guest

    Excel database

    Im trying to create a new database in Excel and I would like to format it so
    that when I type in a clients name, the rest of their information such as
    address, phone number, and contact name will pop up automatically. Any
    suggestions on how I can do this?

  2. #2
    Mexage
    Guest

    RE: Excel database

    Dear Missgabby22:

    Ohh... This looks like a job for VLOOKUP!

    The VLOOKUP function will efficiently search a table with sorted values.

    The basic syntax is:

    =VLOOKUP(LOOKUP_VALUE,LOOKUP_TABLE,COLUMN_NUMBER)

    Instead of using the name though, I would recommend you to apply some sort
    of ID to avoid duplicates. In VLOOKUP you need the LOOKUP_VALUE to be as
    close as possible to the values in the first row of LOOKUP_TABLE.

    If you still want to use the name, then I would recommend you to use the
    Validation feature (under Data menu) to allow you to find a name in the list.

    Example:
    A B C
    1 mexage Excel
    2 missgabby22 Word
    5 Name: mexage
    6 Program: Excel

    In this example, the lookup_table would be $A$1:$B$2, the lookup_value would
    be B5 (in the cell B5 you type the name you want to lookup) and in B6 you
    would type the following:

    =VLOOKUP(B6,$A$1:$B$2,2)

    The number two states that you need the number two column (that is the
    program name instead of the actual name which is row 1)

    There are some things you should consider:
    1. This only works when the names are sorted in ascending order
    2. It would be a nice idea to have the Lookup table in one sheet and the
    lookup functions in another.
    3. You could use named ranges for better readability.

    Hope this helps; if it does, please rate my post.
    G.Morales.