Dear Barb:

Why don't you try the Index function? The index function will return one row
from a table.

=INDEX('2005 Totals'!$B$3:$B$7,A1)

Where A1 has the number of relative row in the reference.

For example:

A1=2
Step 1. =INDEX('2005 Totals'!$B$3:$B$7,A1)
Step 2. =INDEX('2005 Totals'!$B$3:$B$7,2)
Step 3. ='2005 Totals'!$B$(3+2-1)

Step 4. ='2005 Totals'!$B$4

The INDEX is a one-based function, which means the first element in the list
is 1, not 0.

To use this formula try the following example:
A B C
2 4
3 6

1. On A1 type 2, on A2 type 4
2. Select A1:A2 and drag the fill handle down to fill 2,4,6,8...
3. Type the formula mentioned above in B2 (be sure to adjust the table range
to the whole table in '2005 Totals' Sheet)
4. Select B1 and drag the fill handle down.

This will give you in column B the values in the following cells:
'2005 Totals'!$B3
'2005 Totals'!$B5
'2005 Totals'!$B7

Hope that helps; if it does, please rate this post.

G.Morales