count

  1. #1
    Alex C
    Guest

    count

    I need to know how to count the number of times a specific number appears
    within a range. ie. cell A:1 thru A:1000 - how many times was the number 3
    entered. Disregard all other numbers that may of been entered.

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: count

    Try...

    =COUNTIF(A1:A1000,3)

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: count

    =COUNTIF(A:A,3)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: count

    If a cell could have more than 1 occurrence of 3, and you want to count all,
    then use

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(A1:A1000)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A1000,"3",""))))

  5. #5
    Pivot Novice
    Guest

    RE: count

    You could also place a subtotal function using the count option two cells
    below the range, then place a filter on the range. This way, you can quickly
    get the count of 3's, then 5's, 7's, etc., without having to re-write the
    countif function constantly.

    First, in cell A1002 -
    =subtotal(2,a1:a1000)

    Then, highlight A1:A1000 and select Data/Filter/AutoFilter.

    Use the filter box to select the value that you want to count and the
    subtotal function will automatically count it.