What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

  1. #1
    compu_trainer
    Guest

    What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    What is the formula to convert Imperial measurements to Metric measurements
    accurately in an Excel spreadsheet?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    Try checking up the CONVERT function in Excel's Help
    (requires that the Analysis Toolpak be installed and enabled)
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    Hi
    There are 2.54cm to 1 inch, so you multiply inches by 2.54 to get cm.

    --
    Andy.

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    The only Imperial unit Excel's CONVERT knows about is the pint
    =CONVERT(A1,"uk_pt","ml" gives 568.260698087162 (when A1 =1)

    To convert fluid ounces: =CONVERT(A1/20,"uk_pt","ml")
    remember there are 20 fluid ounces in an Imperial pint not 16 as in US pint
    and the ounces are of different size

    Google is a great place to get conversion values
    Enter "1 imperial pint to litres" (without quotes) in the search box and
    Google replies
    1 Imperial pint = 0.568261485 litres

    best wishes

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  5. #5
    compu_trainer
    Guest

    Re: What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    Hi Andy

    Thanks for your reply, and if I work in whole numbers, this is accurate.
    But when I use numbers like 3 7/16, the conversion is not accurate unless I
    place the whole number in one cell, and the fraction in a separate cell, then
    * each cell by 25.4 and then add them together. Is this what you do?

    Compu_trainer

  6. #6
    Max

    "compu_trainer" wrote:
    > But when I use numbers like 3 7/16,
    > the conversion is not accurate unless I
    > place the whole number in one cell,
    > and the fraction in a separate cell,
    > then * each cell by 25.4 and then add them together...

    FWIW ...
    if you input in A1: 3, in B1: 7/16
    with B1 formatted as Fraction (As sixteenths)
    you could put in C1: =CONVERT(SUM(A1:B1),"in","m")*100
    which yields: 8.73125
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    Max

  8. #8
    Max

  9. #9
    Max

  10. #10
    Max

  11. #11
    Max

  12. #12
    Max

    "compu_trainer" wrote:
    > But when I use numbers like 3 7/16,
    > the conversion is not accurate unless I
    > place the whole number in one cell,
    > and the fraction in a separate cell,
    > then * each cell by 25.4 and then add them together...

    FWIW ...
    if you input in A1: 3, in B1: 7/16
    with B1 formatted as Fraction (As sixteenths)
    you could put in C1: =CONVERT(SUM(A1:B1),"in","m")*100
    which yields: 8.73125
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    xl 97
    ---
    GMT+8, 1 22' N 103 45' E
    xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
    ----

X vBulletin 4.1.8 Debug Information

  • Page Generation 0.06969 seconds
  • Memory Usage 9,058KB
  • Queries Executed 16 (?)
More Information
Template Usage (30):
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_global_above_footer
  • (1)ad_global_below_navbar
  • (1)ad_global_header1
  • (1)ad_global_header2
  • (1)ad_navbar_below
  • (1)ad_showthread_firstpost_sig
  • (1)ad_showthread_firstpost_start
  • (1)ad_thread_first_post_content
  • (1)ad_thread_last_post_content
  • (1)footer
  • (1)forumrules
  • (1)gobutton
  • (1)header
  • (1)headinclude
  • (1)headinclude_bottom
  • (12)memberaction_dropdown
  • (1)navbar
  • (4)navbar_link
  • (4)navbar_noticebit
  • (6)option
  • (12)postbit_legacy
  • (12)postbit_wrapper
  • (4)showthread_bookmarksite
  • (1)spacer_close
  • (1)spacer_open
  • (1)tagbit_wrapper
  • (1)vbseo_linkbackmenu_entry

Phrase Groups Available (6):
  • global
  • inlinemod
  • postbit
  • posting
  • reputationlevel
  • showthread
Included Files (40):
  • ./vbseo.php
  • ./env.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_pre.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_url.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_createurl.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_db.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_vb.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_seo.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_misc.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_crr.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_cache.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_hook.php
  • ./vbseo/includes/functions_vbseo_startup.php
  • ./includes/config.php
  • ./showthread.php
  • ./global.php
  • ./includes/class_bootstrap.php
  • ./includes/init.php
  • ./includes/class_core.php
  • ./includes/functions.php
  • ./includes/class_friendly_url.php
  • ./includes/class_hook.php
  • ./includes/functions_cforum.php
  • ./includes/functions_facebook.php
  • ./includes/functions_bigthree.php
  • ./includes/class_postbit.php
  • ./includes/class_bbcode.php
  • ./includes/functions_reputation.php
  • ./includes/class_bootstrap_framework.php
  • ./vb/vb.php
  • ./vb/phrase.php
  • ./packages/vbattach/attach.php
  • ./vb/types.php