What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

  1. #1
    compu_trainer
    Guest

    What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    What is the formula to convert Imperial measurements to Metric measurements
    accurately in an Excel spreadsheet?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    Try checking up the CONVERT function in Excel's Help
    (requires that the Analysis Toolpak be installed and enabled)
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    Hi
    There are 2.54cm to 1 inch, so you multiply inches by 2.54 to get cm.

    --
    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    The only Imperial unit Excel's CONVERT knows about is the pint
    =CONVERT(A1,"uk_pt","ml" gives 568.260698087162 (when A1 =1)

    To convert fluid ounces: =CONVERT(A1/20,"uk_pt","ml")
    remember there are 20 fluid ounces in an Imperial pint not 16 as in US pint
    and the ounces are of different size

    Google is a great place to get conversion values
    Enter "1 imperial pint to litres" (without quotes) in the search box and
    Google replies
    1 Imperial pint = 0.568261485 litres

    best wishes

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  5. #5
    compu_trainer
    Guest

    Re: What is the Formula to Convert Imperial to Metric Measurements

    Hi Andy

    Thanks for your reply, and if I work in whole numbers, this is accurate.
    But when I use numbers like 3 7/16, the conversion is not accurate unless I
    place the whole number in one cell, and the fraction in a separate cell, then
    * each cell by 25.4 and then add them together. Is this what you do?

    Compu_trainer

  6. #6
    Max

    "compu_trainer" wrote:
    > But when I use numbers like 3 7/16,
    > the conversion is not accurate unless I
    > place the whole number in one cell,
    > and the fraction in a separate cell,
    > then * each cell by 25.4 and then add them together...

    FWIW ...
    if you input in A1: 3, in B1: 7/16
    with B1 formatted as Fraction (As sixteenths)
    you could put in C1: =CONVERT(SUM(A1:B1),"in","m")*100
    which yields: 8.73125
    --
    Rgds
    Max