cell formatting

  1. #1
    MSN
    Guest

    cell formatting

    I have two questions which somewhere down here have probably already been
    asked and answered, but the truth is I just don't have the time to look,
    presently.

    (1) I have my functions in the "balance" column so that it reads whether
    the last entry is a debit or a credit, and adds/subtracts as needed.
    However, below the latest balance figure, how do I get the function to just
    remain BLANK if there has not been a new debit or credit entry, rather than
    the big line of $0.00's???

    (2) How do I create a system where it looks for a certain designation, such
    as "Company A" and puts the balance for that company separately in it's own
    section, in addition to the general ledger? I haven't determined whether to
    have a separate sheet for each item or just put them in different places on
    the main spreadsheet for those companies. Please explain the difference in
    doing it each way, please.

    Thank you very much,

    Jambora

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: cell formatting

    "MSN" <[email protected]> wrote
    > (1) I have my functions in the "balance" column so that it reads whether
    > the last entry is a debit or a credit, and adds/subtracts as needed.
    > However, below the latest balance figure, how do I get the function to

    just
    > remain BLANK if there has not been a new debit or credit entry,
    > rather than the big line of $0.00's???

    One way is to suppress extraneous zeros from showing in the sheet via:
    Click Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  3. #3
    Jambora
    Guest

    Re: cell formatting

    This works well as long as the balance remains zero, which frankly is not
    long. For instance, now, the balance of debits and credits is $2,015.16.
    It now repeats this value down to the end of where my current cell
    formatting ends, instead of what I would like to see is the last entry
    showing the last balance, then the balance below that to the end be empty
    cells, as they are in the debit and credit columns, which of course are not
    functions.

    Close, but only half a cigar....

    Jambora

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jambora
    Guest

    Re: cell formatting

    I need something like SUM(H20-F21+G21)IF(F21ORG21<>0)

    Can you see what I'm getting at? If so please correct any syntax errors.

    Thanx.

    Jam

  5. #5
    Jambora
    Guest

    Re: cell formatting

    I don't know how these newsgroups deal with attachments such as this .xls
    attachment so you can see what I'm trying to do, but here it is if it works.

    If it doesn't work simply that way, how do I get something printed on an
    email to the group, but in excel form? Any way?

    Jam

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: cell formatting

    Here's the sample file with revised formulas for col D ("Balance") in Sheet1
    http://flypicture.com/p.cfm?id=54072
    (Right-click on the link: "Download File"
    at the top in the page, just above the ads)
    File: Jambora_MonthlyMoneyAccounting_wksht.xls
    ----------------
    Revised formulas for col D
    ---------------
    Put in D4: =C4

    Put in D5:
    =IF(AND(B5="",C5=""),0,D4-B5+C5)
    Copy D5 down to D52

    Then just suppress extraneous zeros from showing in the sheet via:
    Click Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK

    This way will achieve the blank effect you want for "new" rows w/o any debit
    or credit, until the inputs are made

    --
    Btw, in future please *do not* post any attachments to the newsgroups
    --
    GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
    xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com
    ----
    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: cell formatting

    See response to your earlier post. I've provided a link to a sample file
    with the revised formulas for col D ("Balance"), using a construct along the
    lines of, e.g.:

    In D5: =IF(AND(B5="",C5=""),0,D4-B5+C5)
    D5 copied down
    And zero values display switched off