Ranking of cells from 1 to 20 with ties

  1. #1
    Xanadude
    Guest

    Ranking of cells from 1 to 20 with ties

    I'm working on a spreadsheet for sports and want to rank certain stats from 1
    to 20, to include a 'T' if there is a tie betwen scores. Example: 1, T 2, T
    2, 4 ...

    I tried using the =if function and got the proper results for the first 8
    scores, but because of the limitation of 8 =if's in a cell I cannot have it
    check the rest of the field. Is there a way to combine cells to continue with
    this function? (have another cell pick up where the first one left off)

    Sorting the stats in order from 1st to 20th will not work because it
    interferes with other sheets where these stats get used.

    N3:N22 is where that stats are located, and L3:L22 is where I want the
    rankings displayed. If needed, another column could be inserted before the L
    column to display the 'T' if the stats are tied.

    I would prefer (if possible) of not using a macro for this.

  2. #2
    Xanadude
    Guest

    RE: Ranking of cells from 1 to 20 with ties

    I'm working on a spreadsheet for sports and want to rank certain stats from 1
    to 20, to include a 'T' if there is a tie betwen scores. Example: 1, T 2, T
    2, 4 ...

    I tried using the =if function and got the proper results for the first 8
    scores, but because of the limitation of 8 =if's in a cell I cannot have it
    check the rest of the field. Is there a way to combine cells to continue with
    this function? (have another cell pick up where the first one left off)

    Sorting the stats in order from 1st to 20th will not work because it
    interferes with other sheets where these stats get used.

    N3:N22 is where that stats are located, and L3:L22 is where I want the
    rankings displayed. If needed, another column could be inserted before the L
    column to display the 'T' if the stats are tied.

    I would prefer (if possible) of not using a macro for this.

    Add on:

    I am having some luck with the =large function, in displaying the proper
    ranking without the 'T' (I think I can add that on later with another
    function to display in another column), but I reached a limit of 7 =if's and
    6 =large's in the cell.

  3. #3
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: Ranking of cells from 1 to 20 with ties

    Have a look at the RANK function.

  4. #4
    Martin P
    Guest

    RE: Ranking of cells from 1 to 20 with ties

    I also prefer worksheet/workbook methods to macros. They are easier to debug,
    and a year from now I am more likely to know what is going on in a worksheet
    than in a macro.
    I have something that seems to be what you are looking for. Mine is for only
    9 scores where you need 20, and the scores are not where you want them. You
    should be able to do the necessary modifications.
    Cells A2 to A10: the names
    Cells B2 to B10: the scores
    Cells E2 to E10: numbers 1 to 9
    Cell G2: =A2
    Cell H2: =B2
    Cell J2: =B2+ROW(I2)/1000
    Cell K2: =LARGE($J$2:$J$10,E2)
    Cell L2: =SUMPRODUCT($E$2:$E$10,--($J$2:$J$10=K2))
    Cell M2: =VLOOKUP(L2,$E$2:$H$10,4)
    Cell N2: =VLOOKUP(L2,$E$2:$H$10,4)
    Cell O2: =VLOOKUP(L2,$E$2:$G$10,3)
    Cells G2 to O2 are copied down

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Ranking of cells from 1 to 20 with ties

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 14:36:02 -0700, "Xanadude"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm working on a spreadsheet for sports and want to rank certain stats from 1
    >to 20, to include a 'T' if there is a tie betwen scores. Example: 1, T 2, T
    >2, 4 ...
    >
    >I tried using the =if function and got the proper results for the first 8
    >scores, but because of the limitation of 8 =if's in a cell I cannot have it
    >check the rest of the field. Is there a way to combine cells to continue with
    >this function? (have another cell pick up where the first one left off)
    >
    >Sorting the stats in order from 1st to 20th will not work because it
    >interferes with other sheets where these stats get used.
    >
    >N3:N22 is where that stats are located, and L3:L22 is where I want the
    >rankings displayed. If needed, another column could be inserted before the L
    >column to display the 'T' if the stats are tied.
    >
    >I would prefer (if possible) of not using a macro for this.
    >
    >Add on:
    >
    >I am having some luck with the =large function, in displaying the proper
    >ranking without the 'T' (I think I can add that on later with another
    >function to display in another column), but I reached a limit of 7 =if's and
    >6 =large's in the cell.

    To Rank the statistics, in L3 enter the formula:

    =RANK(N3,$N$3:$N$22)

    and copy/drag down to L22.

    In the "inserted" column, enter the formula:

    =IF(COUNTIF($L$3:$L$22,L3)>1,"T","")

    and copy/drag down to row 22.

    --ron