I am having trouble adding a row in Excel. What am i doing wrong?

  1. #1
    Glendie
    Guest

    I am having trouble adding a row in Excel. What am i doing wrong?

    I was trying to insert a row into my spreadsheet and I got the message "To
    prevent loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the
    worksheet. Try to delete or clear the cells to the right or below your data.
    Then select A1, and save your workbook to reset the last cell used." I have
    data in the all the cells, so I don't know what they're referring to because
    nothing is blank. What do I do?

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: I am having trouble adding a row in Excel. What am i doing wrong?

    Glendie

    Excel is telling you that you have run out of rows....there are 65536 rows to
    a sheet.

    If you have reached this limit with your data, you are done.

    In most cases, users do not use all the rows, but perhaps have something
    entered waaaaaaaaaay down at the bottom row. Even a <space> in a cell will do
    it.

    Select all the rows below your last data row then Edit>Delete>Entire row.

    Save the workbook and try again.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP