16th digit changes?? Problem,16th digit changes to a zero....

  1. #1

    16th digit changes?? Problem,16th digit changes to a zero....

    Our company uses a program that has some inventory items that are 16
    numerical digits long. When I run an export to a csv file. I notice that
    after opening the file, all the cells that have skus which are 16 digits
    long, get changed to end with a zero instead of the real number. After some
    labored testing, I finally decided to try to manually input a sample number
    into excel and noticed that the 16th digit gets changed everytime to a zero.
    Is there a fix or way to keep this from happening?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Roman

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: 16th digit changes?? Problem,16th digit changes to a zero....

    Please post in one group only. See answer in other group

    --

    Kind Regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Martin Brown

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Our company uses a program that has some inventory items that are 16
    > numerical digits long. When I run an export to a csv file. I notice that
    > after opening the file, all the cells that have skus which are 16 digits
    > long, get changed to end with a zero instead of the real number. After some
    > labored testing, I finally decided to try to manually input a sample number
    > into excel and noticed that the 16th digit gets changed everytime to a zero.
    > Is there a fix or way to keep this from happening?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    You have hit the physical limit on the storage of IEEE floating point
    numbers in Excel. If you want to use 16 decimal digit part numbers you
    will have to set the cell type to "text" so that they are held as strings.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown