How do I separate words in one cell into two cells?-manually separate hundreds of nam

  1. #1
    Vanessa
    Guest

    How do I separate words in one cell into two cells?-manually separate hundreds of nam

    I have a column that has both first and last names in it. I would like to
    separate the two into two separate columns. The text to column feature
    doesn't work (at least how I know to use it) because the people's names are
    of such different lengths. Can anyone help me so I don't have to manually
    separate hundreds of names?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Barb R.
    Guest

    re: How do I separate words in one cell into two cells?-manually separate hundreds of nam

    First, I'm assuming that there is a first name and a last name and no middle
    name. If there is, you'll still have to do some data manipulation. This
    should get you part of the way.

    Data -> Text to Columns
    Select "Delimited"
    Select "Space"
    Select "Finish"

  3. #3
    pateodoro
    Guest

    re: How do I separate words in one cell into two cells?-manually separate hundreds of nam

    If, for all cells, first and last names are written with a space between, you
    can use the text to column tool, choose the option "delimited" and tick
    "space" option. Then you'll have all names separated in 2 columns.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    re: How do I separate words in one cell into two cells?-manually separate hundreds of nam

    In the Text to columns feature, use Delimited instaed of Fixed Width, and use
    a space as the delimiter. You'll have to eyeball the results to deal with
    names like Jill St. John