insert field from Word into Excel

  1. #1
    Kaththea
    Guest

    insert field from Word into Excel

    I'm trying to track the time spent editing a word document in an excel
    spreadsheet. The goal is to be able to total the time spent editing multiple
    documents. I've inserted the field into Word (edit time: Word/insert
    field/Date and Time/EditTime). I can hyperlink to the field in Excel, but
    the excel field won't update when the edit time in word increases. Any
    suggestions? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: insert field from Word into Excel

    FYI, There is a document property in WORD that saves the TotalEditting Time.

  3. #3
    Kaththea
    Guest

    RE: insert field from Word into Excel

    The issue is totalling the total edit time of multiple word documents. If
    I've edited 5 documents for 10 minutes each, I want to be able to list each
    of the total edit times in a spreadsheet and have the spreadsheet sum them
    for a total of 50. Does this clarify this? Or is there someway to access
    Word's document properties from Excel?

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: insert field from Word into Excel

    Regardless, if you insert a table in word you can also sum that table without
    involving excel at all. Having said that if you want an excel table in word
    that is updated when you change it in excel you can just select the table in
    excel, copy it, paste special as link and (I prefer link then picture since
    it is so easy to move around or resize) and any of the options, once you
    paste as link it will be updated when the source is updated

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom,

  5. #5
    Kaththea
    Guest

    RE: insert result of edit time field from Word into Excel

    Unfortunately, I have to involve Excel as I'm doing a lot of other
    statistical analysis on the status of these documents. I don't want an excel
    table in word, I just want to be able to copy/transfer/insert one statistic
    about a word document into a spreadsheet. I don't want to go from word to
    word, or from excel from word. I need to go from word to excel.

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    RE: insert result of edit time field from Word into Excel

    Copy the field in word and paste special as link and word object into excel
    That will update when source is updated or paste special as link and text if
    you need to do calculation in excel

    Regards,

    Peo Sjoblom

  7. #7
    Barb R.
    Guest

    RE: insert result of edit time field from Word into Excel

    Kaththea, I'd do it this way and I'm guessing there are other ways.

    In each WORD document (at the beginning or end) enter a field code. You do
    this with CONTROL F9. When you use CONTROL F9, you'll see {} displayed on
    the screen. You can format this to be hidden so it won't be printed.
    WIthin the {} put "DOCPROPERTY TotalEditingTime \* MERGEFORMAT" so that
    the field code looks like the following:

    { DOCPROPERTY TotalEditingTime \* MERGEFORMAT}

    You can format this to be hidden so it won't be printed. Just make sure
    that you can see hidden text when you edit.

    You can copy this and in the EXCEL DOCUMENT
    Paste Special -> Paste Link
    AS: Text

    You can then do whatever statistical analysis is needed.