Entered text value equals a number I specify in another cell

  1. #1
    Dave S.
    Guest

    Entered text value equals a number I specify in another cell

    I am creating a mileage chart in which I would like to enter the locations
    driven to as text in one cell. In the adjacent cell I woul d like the actual
    miles of driving to automactically appear. I would then have the miles
    totaled at the bottom of the miles column. I have all the possible driving
    destinations and the mileage of each one, but do not know how to have the
    mileage automatically entered in an adjacent cell. Thanks for any help or
    ideas. Dave

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Entered text value equals a number I specify in another cell

    Say your destination and mileage were in Sheet2, columns A & B.

    Then if you enter your destination in Sheet1, column A, you can retrieve
    the mileage with

    B2: =VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet1!A:B, 2, FALSE)

  3. #3
    Dave S.
    Guest

    Re: Entered text value equals a number I specify in another cell

    Thanks, JE, but I must be doing something wrong. I have entered the
    destination A1 sheet 2 and entered the mileage in B1 sheet 2. I then enter
    the destination in A1 sheet 1 and your formula in cell B1 sheet 1. The
    result in B1 Sheet 1 is #N/A.

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Entered text value equals a number I specify in another cell

    Try

    =VLOOKUP(A1, Sheet2!A:B), 2, FALSE)

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)