Conditional Sum and DATEVALUE function

  1. #1
    Vlad
    Guest

    Conditional Sum and DATEVALUE function

    I have been trying to create a reusable formula that calculates monthly sums
    and can easily adjust values for what-ifs. I used the Conditional Sum Wizard
    add-in to create the following formula:
    =SUM(IF($A$4:$A$2101>=DATEVALUE("10/1/04"),IF($A$4:$A$2101<=DATEVALUE("10/31/04"),$E$4:$E$2101,0),0))
    A comparable formula would be assigned to other cells for additional monthly
    ranges; however, it is impractical to keep adding different ranges, as each
    sheet contains about 36 months that are sequential but begin and end at
    varying points. The DATEVALUE function strikes me as one of the stupidest in
    Excel because of the inability to input cell ranges, forcing you to key in
    specific dates every time. I was hoping someone out there knows a way around
    this limitation. I'd appreciate any help.

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Sum and DATEVALUE function

    Are you looking for an easier way to revise your date range?

    You could refer the formula to specific cells for your start and end dates:

    =SUM(IF($A$4:$A$2101>=A3,IF($A$4:$A$2101<=B3,$E$4:$E$2101,0),0))

    Also, since this is an array formula, you might wish to revise it to a
    non-array alternative:

    =SUMPRODUCT((A4:A2101>=A3)*(A4:A2101<=B3)*E4:E2101)
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Sum and DATEVALUE function

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:05:02 -0700, "Vlad" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have been trying to create a reusable formula that calculates monthly sums
    >and can easily adjust values for what-ifs. I used the Conditional Sum Wizard
    >add-in to create the following formula:
    >=SUM(IF($A$4:$A$2101>=DATEVALUE("10/1/04"),IF($A$4:$A$2101<=DATEVALUE("10/31/04"),$E$4:$E$2101,0),0))
    >A comparable formula would be assigned to other cells for additional monthly
    >ranges; however, it is impractical to keep adding different ranges, as each
    >sheet contains about 36 months that are sequential but begin and end at
    >varying points. The DATEVALUE function strikes me as one of the stupidest in
    >Excel because of the inability to input cell ranges, forcing you to key in
    >specific dates every time. I was hoping someone out there knows a way around
    >this limitation. I'd appreciate any help.

    Are you wedded to the DATEVALUE function?

    Why not put your start date and end date in two cells and use the following
    formula:

    =SUMIF($A$4:$A$2101,">="&StartDate,$E$4:$E$2101) -
    SUMIF($A$4:$A$2101,">"&EndDate,$E$4:$E$2101)

    --ron