sumif formula returns incorrect value

  1. #1
    modular_brian
    Guest

    sumif formula returns incorrect value

    I am using Excel 2000 and have a problem with a sumif formula returning an
    invalid solution.

    A1:Z9 = range
    G1 through G9 =0
    A10 = text
    B10 = text
    C10 = null
    d10 = null
    e10 = number
    f10 = text
    g10 = SUMIF(range,"text",G1:G9)

    The result of formula in g10 > 0

    If I delete column F then the formula result becomes 0 and is valid. If I
    delete row 3, the formula result becoems 0 and is valid. Anybody out there
    seen something like this before? Any solution?

    Thanks
    Brian

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: sumif formula returns incorrect value

    I suspect you have formulas in G1:G9 that are dependent on values in
    column F and row 3.

    Functions operate on stored values, not displayed values (unless you
    have Tools/Options/Calculation/Precision as displayed selected), so if
    your formula returns 0.4, but you have the display set for zero places
    to the right of the decimal point, the display will be 0, but the SUMIF
    will be non-zero.