How do I do multi VLOOKUP's based on certain criteria per cell?

  1. #1
    Milky_UK
    Guest

    How do I do multi VLOOKUP's based on certain criteria per cell?

    Thank-you for looking at my question!

    I suppose I am trying to perform multiple (embedded) VLOOKUP's although
    there may be another way I can achieve the same result.

    I have a list of server names (column A down) and a row of patch names (Row
    2 along) I have another sheet in my workbook containing patch scan results
    (hostname_patchname) which I have defined as name 'database' and am looking
    up if each server has the patch or not.
    =vlookup($A2&"_"&B$1,database,2,false) This is working a treat, however I
    need to do this based on whether a patch is applicable to each particular
    server. I have another data area with all the server names and what operating
    system they are running and want to only show a result per patch if said
    patch is relevant to that server. Hope this makes sense to someone without a
    view of the sheet :-)

    Many thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    Scott

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: How do I do multi VLOOKUP's based on certain criteria per cell?

    try something like
    if your applicability database is set with Servers in the first column and
    the Patches in the first row with a applicable or not applicable indicator in
    the intersection cells

    =if(Vlookup($A$28,Applicability database,match($B$1,Patch row
    description),false),vlookup($A2&"_"&B$1,database,2,false),"")

  3. #3
    Milky_UK
    Guest

    RE: How do I do multi VLOOKUP's based on certain criteria per cell

    Many thanks BJ, have not got this to work yet, although only because I have
    not yet worked out how to define which OS's each patch supports. Guess I
    would have to define another name then.

    Currently I have a few sheets with defined names;

    1. Database containing cleansed data that I have exported from a patch
    vulnerability scanning tool. This data is in the format
    A B
    HOST STATUS
    SERVER_PATCH Installed
    SERVER_PATCH Not Installed
    SERVER_PATCH Installed

    2. OS_Version that is simply a long list of servers I am interested in and
    the OS they are running

    A B
    HOST OS
    Server1 W2K
    Server2 W3K
    Server3 NT4 (yes, would you credit it, lol)

    I do actually have another sheet with my Patch list I am reporting on and
    their compatibility with each OS.

    A B C D
    PATCH W2k W3K NT4
    Patch1 Yes Yes Yes
    Patch2 No No Yes
    Patch3 Yes Yes No

    I currently run
    "=vlookup($A2&"_"&B$1,database,2,false"
    and this works, although gets me a result for everything. My aim is to only
    get a result if the Server3 running NT4 has or has not got patches Patch1 or
    Patch2 as Patch3 is not relevant to the NT4 OS.

    Will continue working with your (BJ) formulae as I do think that you have
    hit the nail on the head with the MATCH function!

    Excellent, will let you know if I make any progress, again, many thanks BJ,
    have a good weekend.

  4. #4
    Milky_UK