add "0" to the beginning of each value

  1. #1
    Jane
    Guest

    add "0" to the beginning of each value

    my data reads:
    629,
    etc.

    I need to add a "0" to the front of each number. Is there an easy formula
    to do this?

    thanks! jane

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Because Excel 'ignores' leading zeros in numbers, the best way is to use Custom Format. Highlight all affected cells, choose Format>Cells. On the Number tab, select Custom and set the format to '0000'. Click OK. All cells will now have a leading zero. Note that a two digit number (e.g. 12) will have TWO leading zeros (0012).

    Another option is to format the cells as text and then enter your number with the leading zero: (e.g. 0123)

    HTH

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: add "0" to the beginning of each value

    Try this, Jane:
    *******************
    ~Anne Troy

    www.OfficeArticles.com
    www.MyExpertsOnline.com

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: add "0" to the beginning of each value

    If it is just presentation, use a custom format of 0000.

    Bob Phillips