Data from closed workbooks (pull func, indirect.ext, etc ....)

  1. #1

    Data from closed workbooks (pull func, indirect.ext, etc ....)

    I am looking for some help before I tear my hair our!

    I am trying to put together a spreadsheet which is populated by summary
    data from around 50 other sheets. To access the sheets I was planning
    on using a string which can be varied to point at each workbook.

    I am using Excel 2002 SP3 on a WinXP machine (in case it matters)

    My first hurdle was the indirect command not working on closed
    workbooks.

    After some googling I came across the multifunc addin containing
    indirect.ext. Unfortunately every time I use this it freezes excell.

    Next step was to try the beta of indirect2 (by the same author), but
    again this generated hit and miss results.

    Finally i tried the pull function by Harlan Grove, this sounded ideal,
    but no matter what I try always returns the #value error. Even on a
    simplest possible scenario generated by creating a couple of books with
    simple numbers in one and the pull command in the other.

    Can anyone suggest alternatives (or why the ones I have tried are not
    working) is this just a compatibility issue and i am doomed?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Data from closed workbooks (pull func, indirect.ext, etc ....)

    Why don't you use links ?

    Maybe this will help
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

    --