Sorting dates:How do I sort a column filled with dates by Month, Day, then Year?

  1. #1
    Heather
    Guest

    Sorting dates:How do I sort a column filled with dates by Month, Day, then Year?

    How do I sort a column filled with dates by Month, Day, then Year? The
    default seems to be to sort by year first, then month.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    re: Sorting dates:How do I sort a column filled with dates by Month, Day, then Year?

    Hi!

    Here's an idea.

    Assume dates are in column A, A1:An.

    You need 3 helper columns: B, C, and D.

    In B1, C1 and D1 enter these formulas respectively:

    =MONTH(A1)
    =DAY(A1)
    =YEAR(A1)

    Select cells B1, C1 and D1 and copy down to the end of the list of dates in
    column A.

    With that range still selected do a Copy/Paste Special/Values

    Now, select the entire range A1:Dn

    Sort by column B then by column C then by column D.

    When done and satisified, get rid of the helper data.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...