Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

  1. #1
    Rhode Island

    Question Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Lets say I have an Input Sheet with a list of names and dates. For each name, there may exist multiple dates (i.e. the names may be listed multiple times each with a different date).

    I established an Output Sheet with all the possible names in the list (Output column 1). For each unique name (row), I need to pull all dates associated with that name from the Input Sheet list and fill the adjacent columns.

    I need some sort of VLOOKUP-array thing where all fields matching the criteria are returned to a range of cells.

    When I do it manually, I use the auto-filter and copy and paste from the filtered list. I need to avoid using macros for this task if at all possible.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    This may be the "square peg, round hole, big hammer" approach, but have you tried a pivot table for this?

    When you build it, set
    Rows: Name, Date
    Data: count of date

    It might give you an acceptable output.

    Ron

  3. #3
    Rhode Island

    I have never used pivot tables. If you think that would work I'll look into it.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    Assuming data is in Cells A1:B50, with
    A1: Name
    B1: Date

    Step_1: Select your 2 columns of data (say...A1:B50)

    Step_2: Data>Pivot Table>
    MS Excel list....[Next]
    Range: A1:B50...[Next]

    Click the [Layout] button
    Drag Name to the Rows section
    Drag Date to the Rows section
    Drag Date to the Data section (it will change to Count of Date)
    Click [OK]
    Choose Existing Worksheet and select a cell of the right for the Pivot Table to be located.

    Click [Finish]

    There's your pivot table....experiment with it.

    Ron

  5. #5
    Rhode Island

    Thanks so much ... I'll do that.

    p.s. You guys rock!

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Here's a formula aternative to a pivot table.

    Assume that on the Input Sheet the names are in column A, A1:A20 and the
    dates are in column B, B1:B20.

    On the Output sheet you have the list of unique names listed in column A,
    A1:An

    Enter this formula in cell B1 as an array using the key combo of
    CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =IF(ISERROR(LARGE(IF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20=$A1,Sheet1!$B$1:$B$20),COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20,$A1)-(COLUMN(A:A)-1))),"",LARGE(IF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20=$A1,Sheet1!$B$1:$B$20),COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20,$A1)-(COLUMN(A:A)-1)))

    Copy down to the end of the list in column A, then across until you get a
    solid column of blank cells (meaning the data has been exhausted).

    This will extract the dates in ascending order. If you want the dates in
    descending order, in the formula change LARGE to SMALL.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Ooops!

    Minor tweak.....

    Change all the references to Sheet1 to the name of your Input Sheet.

    You also might have to format the cells as DATE.

    Biff

    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Rhode Island

    Hey Biff,

    That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for ... but when I use the formula all I get are the largest dates in all cells (as I fill over I just keep getting more and more columns of the largest date).

    I'll try to disect it now and figure out what's going on ... but let me know if you see an error. I used the following specifically (array entered):

    =IF(ISERROR(LARGE(IF(Import!$A$1:$A$1346=$A1,Import!$B$1:$B$1346),COUNTIF(Import!$A$1:$A$1346,$A1)-(COLUMN(A:A)-1))),"",LARGE(IF(Import!$A$1:$A$1346=$A1,Import!$B$1:$B$1346),COUNTIF(Import!$A$1:$A$1346,$A1)-(COLUMN(A:A)-1)))

    Either way, thanks so much!

  9. #9
    Rhode Island

    Nope ... I'm an idiot ... it wasn't calculating the formulas automatically. It works perfect!!

    Thanks so much!

  10. #10
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Rhode Island

    two-criteria LOOKUP?

    Unfortunately the fix you suggested leads to another dilema. I have a data column associated with each date as well. I was trying to divide up the input sheet information into two parallel sheets, one with site and date, the second with site and data. Next step is to manipulate the data and move it to sheets that are used for plotting. But, your method sorts the data in a similar way that it sorts the dates (say low to high) so the cells that hold the dates (on OUTPUT-DATES) are not the same as the associated cell that holds the data (on OUTPUT-DATA) because the data is sorted low to high as well.

    Given that I now have a date/site sheet (OUTPUT-DATES) that is sorted appropriately, can you think of a way to create a parallel sheet that stores the data (OUTPUT-DATA) in the same cell that the date was stored? I can envision using some sort of VLOOKUP procedure with two steps/criteria ... I have the criteria 1 in "OUTPUT-DATA-column A", and criteria 2 in "OUTPUT-DATES-each column" to be matched to "INPUT-columns 1 and 2" and to return "INPUT-column3".

    Following your methodology, I guess I need to first establish a temporary 3-column array with all the rows where the sites match. Then from that array find the single row where the date matches. Then return the column 3 value of that row. Got more innovative array ideas up your sleave?

    p.s. the best thing I learned from your previous formula is that the syntax "Import!$A$1:$A$1346=$A1" can be used as a loop type function for the IF conditional. Cool way of integrating LARGE with column index as well. Very clever Thanks again!
    Last edited by William DeLeo; 06-28-2005 at 08:47 AM.

  12. #12
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  13. #13
    Rhode Island

    I sent the file and look forward to your feedback.

    Thanks so much!

  14. #14
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  15. #15
    Biff

  16. #16
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  17. #17
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  18. #18
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  19. #19
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  20. #20
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  21. #21
    Biff

  22. #22
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  23. #23
    Biff

  24. #24
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  25. #25
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  26. #26
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  27. #27
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  28. #28
    Biff

  29. #29
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  30. #30
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  31. #31
    Biff

  32. #32
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  33. #33
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  34. #34
    Biff

  35. #35
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  36. #36
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  37. #37
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  38. #38
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  39. #39
    Biff

  40. #40
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  41. #41
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  42. #42
    Biff

  43. #43
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  44. #44
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  45. #45
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  46. #46
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  47. #47
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  48. #48
    Biff

  49. #49
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  50. #50
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  51. #51
    Biff

  52. #52
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  53. #53
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  54. #54
    Biff
[...]

    news:[email protected]...

  55. #55
    Biff

  56. #56
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    I hate pivot tables so I'm inclined to come up with these types of formulas.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    Biff

    "William DeLeo" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  57. #57
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Extract multiple records matching criteria from list

    Hi!

    Sorry, but I'm not really following you on this.

    If you can send me your file I'll be able to see what you mean. It sounds
    like you want to do a lookup based on site/date. If that's what you want,
    it's not difficult (usually!) but I would need *very* specific details.
    Here's my address:

    xl can help at comcast period net

    Remove "can" and change the obvious.

    Biff