how do i cumulatively add in a single column?

  1. #1
    frustrated
    Guest

    how do i cumulatively add in a single column?

    doing my head in here!...2 hrs later...all i want to do is key in a $ amount
    down a cloumn and have it change the amount after i add the new amount so
    that i dont have to go between calculator and key board...can someone
    pleeeease help...im tearing my hair out here and the instructions in help are
    vague and dont work!!...very very angry. thanks

  2. #2
    Dr. Nonverbal
    Guest

    RE: how do i cumulatively add in a single column?

    If you're restricted to a single column, your best bet might be to simply put
    a sum statement at the top of the column (e.g., sum(a1:a5000)) and freeze the
    top row (i.e., highlight the second row in your worksheet, go to WINDOW -
    FREEZE PANES). That will keep your sum statement where you can see it as you
    add data to your worksheet.

    If you can use a second column, it makes life much easier. Others may be
    able to come up with more elegant solutions.

    Good luck -

    David