Up Arrows / Down Arrows

  1. #1
    MWH
    Guest

    Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    If cell A2 > A1 I would like to show an up arrow next to the value, and visa
    versa...

    --
    Mark W. Hanford
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Charles T. Garrett
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    =IF(A1>A2,"?","?")

    ? alt+25

    ? alt+24

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Charles T. Garrett
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Post did not show the arrows. They were replaced with question marks.
    Replace the question marks with the following information. Use Alt+24 for
    the up arrow, and Alt+25 for the down arrow. (Excel 2000)

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi MWH,

    Try the following two-pronged approach:

    (1) In B2: =If(A2>A1, "p","q") Format with Windings3 font.

    (2) Set conditional formats for the three possible cases:

    =A1>A2 | Font: Bold Red
    =A1<A2 | Font: Bold Green
    =A1 =A2 | Font: Normal White

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  5. #5
    MWH
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Thanks! Norman ....works great!

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    MWH
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    One more question if A2 = A1, i don't want an arrow to show, right now I
    always get a down arrow

  7. #7
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi MWH,

    Try Changing:

    =If(A2>A1, "p","q")

    =IF(A1=A2,"",IF(A2>A1, "p","q")

    --

    ---
    Regards,

  8. #8
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi MWH,

    Just to add, using both of the approaches indicated in my initial reply, the
    arrows would appear red, green or invisible (white on white background)
    acoccording to A1>A2, A1<A2 or A1=A2.

    If , therefore, you include the conditional format element, you do not need
    to use the revised formula.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  9. #9
    MWH
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Ok, Just one more question is there a way to concatenate this
    formula?=SUM(daily_Totals!F6) and your formula
    =IF(F8=E8,"",IF(F8>E8,"p","q")
    I'm getting the data from another worksheet, and I would like
    the up-arrow or down-arrow to show next to the value. I am trying to develop
    an indicator to track man-hours and show where are our overall gains or
    losses are coming from. The original data is coming from access and exported
    to excel. Thanks again!

  10. #10

    conditional formatting

    (2) Set conditional formats for the three possible cases:

    =A1>A2 | Font: Bold Red
    =A1<A2 | Font: Bold Green
    =A1 =A2 | Font: Normal White
    I know this off topic but I read with interest on conditional formatting. How do you go abouts setting the condtion? I went to Edit->Go To->Special.

  11. #11
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi Ernestgoh,

    > I know this off topic but I read with interest on conditional
    > formatting. How do you go abouts setting the condtion? I went to
    > Edit->Go To->Special.

    :Debra Dalgleish has a superb tutorial on conditional formatting (one of a
    number!) at:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    "ernestgoh" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    MWH
    Guest

    Norman Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi Norman

    Ok, Just one more question is there a way to concatenate this
    formula?=SUM(daily_Totals!F6) and your formula
    =IF(F8=E8,"",IF(F8>E8,"p","q")
    I'm getting the data from another worksheet, and I would like
    the up-arrow or down-arrow to show next to the value. I am trying to develop
    an indicator to track man-hours and show where are our overall gains or
    losses are coming from. The original data is coming from access and exported
    to excel. Thanks again!

    news:eY6%[email protected]...

  13. #13
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Norman Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi MWH,

    > Ok, Just one more question is there a way to concatenate this
    > formula?=SUM(daily_Totals!F6) and your formula
    > =IF(F8=E8,"",IF(F8>E8,"p","q")

    It is not apparent what you mean by 'concatenate' in this context.

    Certainly it is possible to replace one or more of the above cell references
    with an expressions which return values. For example:

    = If(SUM(daily_Totals!F6) > Some_Value, "p","q")

    You would, however, need to provide details sufficient for someone to
    construct an appropriate formula.

    More particularly, in your initial post you clearly enunciated the
    A1>A2 and A1<2 conditions..

    If you can provide similar information for the SUM(daily_Totals!F6)
    expression, I am sure that solutions will be forthcoming.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  14. #14
    MWH
    Guest

    Re: Norman Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    My initial value is coming from another worksheet within the workbook
    =SUM(daily_Totals!F6). The cell adjacent to contains your formula for
    showing the arrows =IF(F8=E8,"",IF(F8>E8,"p","q") I would like to combine
    the formula so the cell that contains the value and will show the arrow
    also.

  15. #15
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Norman Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi MWH,

    Forgive any obtuseness on my part, but could you explain what values are
    held in E8 and F8 (using your cell references) and what the relationship of
    these cells is to the SUM(daily_Totals!F6) value. More particularly, what
    does the value SUM(daily_Totals!F6) have to exceed for the up arrow and
    what does it have to be less than for the down arrow to show?

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  16. #16
    MWH
    Guest

    Re: Norman Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    SUM(daily_Totals!F6) is just cell F6 on worksheet "daily_Totals" The values
    on worksheet "daily_totals" comes from an access export query. Lets pretend
    the cell that contains "SUM(daily_Totals!F6)" is B1,I want it to look at A1
    to compare the values for the up/down arrows. Am I as clear as mud!

  17. #17
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Norman Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi MWH,

    >Lets pretend the cell that contains "SUM(daily_Totals!F6)" is B1,I want it
    >to look at A1 to compare the values for the up/down arrows

    With the value =SUM(daily_Totals!F6) in B1, to display an arrow in C1 which
    represents the comparison of the A1 and B1 values, in C1 enter the formula

    =IF(A1=A2,"",IF(A2>A1, "p","q")

    Format relevant column C cells with the Windings3 font (to show an up or
    down arrow); Apply conditional formatting to the relevant column c cells to
    color down arrows green and up arrows red.

    Now, given your explanation, I would be quie happy with this answer ... were
    it not that this was my exact response four posts ago!

    I fear that I am missing something!

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

  18. #18
    Kassie
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi Norman

    MWH wants to dsiplay the arrow in the same cell as the result, hence the
    question about concatenation. This would mean that his values are turned
    into text of course. Using the ampersand "&" you can concatenate the two
    results of the two formulae. the question is whether you still want to be
    able to do calculations on this cell afterwards.

  19. #19
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Up Arrows / Down Arrows

    Hi Kassie,

    > MWH wants to dsiplay the arrow in the same cell as the result

    Thank you for this clarification

    In fact Mark made this clear in subsequent post in a separate thread (see
    the "Thanks" thread.

    In the other thread, mark said:

    > I don't want to use a separate cell for the arrow, as I'll
    > have many columns of data over a long period of time.

    I therefore suggested that Mark consider changing the sheet logic to
    transpose rows and columns.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman