running total

  1. #1
    D.J.Shaw
    Guest

    running total

    I have a Expense/Receipt workbook with 12 sheets title from left to right
    July - June. I have one cell for Profit/Loss for each month. I need to have
    this carried through the entire 12 sheets as a running total. I have had
    some answers from other groups but either I am too thick or they assume I am
    really good at this, so I don't understand their answers. Those that looked
    easy didn't work. I am about intermediate with excel so could anyone please
    help .
    Splinter

  2. #2
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: running total

    "D.J.Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Expense/Receipt workbook with 12 sheets title from left to right
    > July - June. I have one cell for Profit/Loss for each month. I need to

    have
    > this carried through the entire 12 sheets as a running total. I have had
    > some answers from other groups but either I am too thick or they assume I

    am
    > really good at this, so I don't understand their answers. Those that

    looked
    > easy didn't work. I am about intermediate with excel so could anyone

    please
    > help .
    > Splinter

    You would probably be better off having two cells - one for the profit or
    (loss) for the month, and one below that for the running total.
    Assuming that your month total is in cell C20 and the running total is in
    cell C21, then do this:

    In sheet July, in Cell C21 type "=C20" (without the quotes)
    In sheet Aug, in Cell C21 type "=C20+July!C21" (again without the quotes)
    Do the same that you did in the Aug sheet, for all the other sheets, just
    changing the name of the sheet to the one before.

    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk