EXTRACT TEXT FROM TEXT STRING:The names are of variable length

  1. #1
    carricka
    Guest

    EXTRACT TEXT FROM TEXT STRING:The names are of variable length

    Hi Folks -

    Using Excel 2003, I'm looking for a formula, ultimately to mailmerge from
    Word 2003, to extract a name from cells that contain a name and a number.
    The names are of variable length as are the numbers. In all cases there is a
    space between the name and the number.
    Examples are:
    Anthony 2
    Ber 12
    Philomena 123.

    I've looked at LEFT and RIGHT and TRIM but can't see any way to go left from
    the space or right to the space.

    Many thanks.
    ANTHONY

  2. #2
    Barb R.
    Guest

    re: EXTRACT TEXT FROM TEXT STRING:The names are of variable length

    Try this:

    =MID(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH(" ",A1,1))

    You could also parse the data using DATA -> TEXT TO COLUMNS

  3. #3
    Geoff Lord
    Guest

    re: EXTRACT TEXT FROM TEXT STRING:The names are of variable length

    Try

    =MID(A5,1,SEARCH(" ",A5))

    Where text is in A5

    Geoff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    carricka
    Guest

    re: EXTRACT TEXT FROM TEXT STRING:The names are of variable length

    Hi Barb,

    This gives me the number instead of the name. It's not what I want but is
    most useful anyway. Geoff has supplied a formula that gives me the name.
    Thanks very much for your time.

    ANTHONY

  5. #5
    carricka
    Guest

    re: EXTRACT TEXT FROM TEXT STRING:The names are of variable length

    Hi Geoff -

    Works perfectly, thanks.

    ANTHONY