Un - Concatenate?

  1. #1
    JudithJubilee
    Guest

    Un - Concatenate?

    Hello there,

    I have a large list of police records and one of the fields contains their,
    ID Code, Area and Rank seperated by spaces. I know there is a LEN and FIND
    fuction but how do I conbine these??

    Thankyou in advance

    Judith

  2. #2
    Kent, UK
    find will enable you to get the location of the blank spaces in the text string, which can then be used with =left, =right, =mid and =len. The resulting formulae can be a bit cumbersome but if the ID and area code are always the same number of characters they can be simplified.

    These should work for variable lengths:

    Cell A1 is: 1531 dorset constable
    =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)) returns 1531
    =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)-FIND(" ",A1)) returns Dorset
    =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)) returns Constable

    Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Un - Concatenate?

    Hi

    Why don't you insert the necessary columns (2 in this case), then do
    Data|Text to Columns, select delimited, select Space (and unselect Tab) to
    split it into columns