How Do I reverse axis in a spreadsheet

  1. #1
    ChrisH
    Guest

    How Do I reverse axis in a spreadsheet

    I have a fairly large (6MB) and mature spreadsheet that I need to have the
    columns and rows reversed? (ie. names in the left column and measurements in
    the top row) Is there a global function or is this one large pivot table?
    --
    Thank you,
    Chris H

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How Do I reverse axis in a spreadsheet

    If its a one time job, try a copy > paste special > transpose > ok over to a
    new sheet.

    If it's to be dynamic to the source, one way is via using TRANSPOSE()

    Assume source range is in Sheet1, in A1:T5 (a 5R x 20C range)

    In Sheet2,

    Select A1:E20 (a 20R x 5C converse range)

    Put in the formula bar: =TRANSPOSE(Sheet1!A1:T5)
    Array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

    A1:E20 returns a dynamic transpose of what's in A1:T5 in Sheet1

    For a neater look, we could suppress extraneous zeros display via: Tools >
    Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK
    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How Do I reverse axis in a spreadsheet

    I'm guessing that a 6MB file might have more than a 5R x 20C range.

    <vbg>

    Cheers!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Max

    "Biff" wrote:
    > I'm guessing that a 6MB file might have more
    > than a 5R x 20C range. <vbg>

    Most probably! <g>

    Purely for ease of set-up, especially for huge source ranges, I'd prefer
    using the non-array OFFSET (rather than TRANSPOSE)

    Assume source range is in Sheet1, in A1:IV50 (a 50R x 256C range)

    In Sheet2, with A1 containing:
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,COLUMNS($A$1:A1)-1,ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)

    Just fill across & down (or down & across)
    to cover the converse grid size (256R x 50C)
    --
    Rgds
    Max