histogram for time values

  1. #1
    Guest

    histogram for time values

    hi,

    I have a whole column of time values --> 9:30, 11:00, 12:30.... etc.

    I want to analysis this data, finding the max time( latest time), min time,
    mode time, and
    create a histogram out of it.

    excel will tell me that time is a non-numeric data and refuses to create the
    histogram.

    any way around this?

    thnks.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: histogram for time values

    Hi!

    If your times were real Excel times (numbers) then the histogram would work.
    So, your times most likely are TEXT.

    You may be able to convert them to real numeric times. Try this:

    Select the range of cells that contain the "times".

    Goto>Data>Text to Columns
    Click Next, Next, Finish.

    Sometimes that will convert text times/dates to numeric times/dates.

    Biff

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: histogram for time values

    thnks.
    it worked,
    is there a way i can tell if its text or excel times?

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: histogram for time values

    Add this formula to a helper column, say B

    =IF(COUNT(A2)>0,"","Text")

    and copy down.

    Bob Phillips