Cse ?

  1. #1
    Brisbane, Australia

    Cse ?

    Hi ... first time here !!

    Probably a simple problem. I've got a range of cells let's say F39:M39. I want to select the lowest value >0. What I'd call a MINIF. No mention in Excel. Some scouting around on the Web refers to CSE formulas. But I can't seem to get it to work.

    I'm trying .... =min(if(F39:M39>0) and the Control / Shift / Enter ??

    Do I have to activate CSE in Excel first or am I just doing it wrong ?

    Thanks

    JH

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Cse ?

    You were close <g>!

    Try, array-entered with CSE*: =MIN(IF(F39:M39>0,F39:M39))
    *press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  3. #3
    Brisbane, Australia
    Max,

    Thanks, I tried that but got $0 as the answer. Two of the cells have $0 values. What and I doing wrong ? Do I have to activate something first ?

    John

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Cse ?

    Perhaps you could try implementing the formula in this manner ..

    Paste into the formula bar for say, N39:
    =MIN(IF(F39:M39>0,F39:M39))

    Then with the cursor still inside the formula bar,
    hold down CTRL+SHIFT keys, press ENTER

    The formula should appear within curly braces { } inserted by Excel, viz.:
    {=MIN(IF(F39:M39>0,F39:M39))}

    Assuming the above's done ok but you still get "$0" displayed,
    then try these diagnostics:

    a. Check the formatting for the formula cell N39
    Is it formatted to display as currency to zero d.p. ?
    Try increasing the decimal places to display to more d.p.
    It could be that the formula is already evaluating correctly
    but the display hides the fine numbers <g>

    b. Any possibility of text numbers in F39:M39 ?
    Maybe the whole lot are all text numbers?

    Try instead in N39 (array-entered as before):
    =MIN(IF(F39:M39+0>0,F39:M39+0))
    Does it now compute properly?

    You could also try converting the text numbers to real numbers by copying
    any empty cell, then select / right-click on F39:M39 > paste special > check
    "Add" > OK.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    ScottO
    Guest

    Re: Cse ?

    Another (possibly less elegant) way ...
    Assume the data is in a named range called "Rng", which INCLUDES at least
    one zero. Question - Is it OK to include a row in the data range with a zero
    value to ensure that there will always be one available?
    If all assumptions are OK, then this formula should work for you ...
    =SMALL(Rng,COUNT(Rng)-RANK(0,Rng)+2)

    Rgds,
    ScottO

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Cse ?

    ... and guess I'm still not sure whether it finally worked for you?
    John, are you still there? <g>
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Cse ?

    Max wrote...
    >.. and guess I'm still not sure whether it finally worked for you?
    >John, are you still there? <g>

    Don't pester OPs. If you solution works, the absence of responses from
    other regular respondents pointing out the flaws in your proposed
    solution should serve as proof it worked.

  8. #8
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Cse ?

    Max wrote...
    >Try, array-entered with CSE*: =MIN(IF(F39:M39>0,F39:M39))
    >*press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

    Possible to avoid array formulas by using

    =SMALL(rng,COUNTIF(rng,"<=0")+1)

  9. #9
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Cse ?

    "Harlan Grove" wrote:
    > Don't pester OPs. ..

    Hardly the case. It's been 3 long days since John called back saying he
    still had some problems, Dad. And I was getting kind of anxious receiving
    no closure to the exchanges we had had.

    > .. If you solution works, the absence of responses from
    > other regular respondents pointing out the flaws in your proposed
    > solution should serve as proof it worked.

    Thanks. But I wouldn't want to misconstrue "silence" nor to implicitly
    burden other regular, more experienced respondents with having to check
    there.
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  10. #10
    Brisbane, Australia

    Wink

    Max,

    Sorry for the delay in replying !! Yes it worked, that's very much. I'm off to a meeting in Tasmania (I live in Brisbane Australia) on Thursday this week. Needed this answer displayed as part of a presentation.

    Thanks very much.

    John

  11. #11
    Max