my formatting changes do nothing to the data

  1. #1
    Alex
    Guest

    my formatting changes do nothing to the data

    I used SSN formatting for cells and nothing happened to the data in one
    column, but when is used the same formatting for another column of data, the
    data immediately changed to the SSN format. Why?

  2. #2

    Re: my formatting changes do nothing to the data

    If the SSN is stored as real numbers, then the number format will work nicely.

    If the SSN was entered as text, then the number format won't change it.

    You may have to reformat the cell as General (or some number) and then reenter
    the value (without the dashes).

  3. #3
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: my formatting changes do nothing to the data

    Thanks Dave.

  4. #4
    Mangus Pyke
    Guest

    Re: my formatting changes do nothing to the data

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:03:03 -0700, "Alex"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I used SSN formatting for cells and nothing happened to the data in one
    >column, but when is used the same formatting for another column of data, the
    >data immediately changed to the SSN format. Why?

    An even quicker solution is to select the column, click Data --> Text
    to Columns, check Fixed Width and hit Finished. The conversion to
    numeric values (if they were text) will continue to use the format
    you'd previously applied (i.e. SSN formatting) so you save a step by
    not having to go back and change it to SSN formatting again.
    --
    "Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
    B.F. Skinner

  5. #5
    Alex
    Guest

    Re: my formatting changes do nothing to the data

    Mangus,

    It worked!!!! Thanks a lot.

    I'm importing the results of an AS/400 query into Excel, editing the format,
    then merging that data into form letters. It's been a challenge, but I think
    I've got it thanks to folks like you and Dave.

  6. #6
    Mangus Pyke
    Guest

    Re: my formatting changes do nothing to the data

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 18:00:01 -0700, "Alex"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mangus,
    >
    >It worked!!!! Thanks a lot.
    >
    >I'm importing the results of an AS/400 query into Excel, editing the format,
    >then merging that data into form letters. It's been a challenge, but I think
    >I've got it thanks to folks like you and Dave.

    Good deal!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend-

    Mangus-