Creating Text lists

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Jaytee
    Guest

    Creating Text lists

    I have several rental properties. I get Guest Surveys, and list the name of a
    house in column A, and the comment on the house in Column C. On a seperate
    worksheet, I want to type in the name of a house in, lets say, A1, and
    generate a list of comments from the first sheet that correspond to that
    house name. Any help?

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Creating Text lists

    Yes. Son't use a second sheet - simply apply a data filter to your first sheet, and show only the
    comments that you are currently interested in.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jaytee
    Guest

    Re: Creating Text lists

    I actually did that on the appropriate page, but I'd also like to create a
    "House Summary Page" in which the comment data and other scores are listed in
    a printable format for the homeowner. What do you think?

  4. #4
    Matt Lunn
    Guest

    Re: Creating Text lists

    Quick and dirty solution.....

    Create a command button on the sheet you wish to display the comments on and
    enter this code (change Sheet1 in the code to whatever the sheet name holding
    all your data is)

    Dim iLoop As Integer
    Dim iReturnRow As Integer

    iReturnRow = 1

    Range("B:B").ClearContents

    For i = 1 To WorksheetFunction.CountA(Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A:A"))

    If Cells(1, 1) = Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 1) Then

    Cells(iReturnRow, 2) = Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(i, 3)
    iReturnRow = iReturnRow + 1
    End If

    Next i

    HTH,
    Matt

  5. #5
    Jaytee
    Guest

    Re: Creating Text lists

    Command Button, would that be through a macro?

  6. #6
    Matt Lunn
    Guest

    Re: Creating Text lists

    Hi,

    You could use the code in a macro. Just make sure it's always run while your
    display sheet is active. Let me know if you need any help with this.

    Thanks,
    Matt

  7. #7
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Creating Text lists

    Hi,

    If i have correctly understood your proble, you basically want to want to
    list all the comments against that house number. This solution assumed that
    youy want to get the result on the same sheet and not on a different one as
    desired by you. Try this:

    I assume tat your House numbers are in range A1:A7 and comments are in range
    B12:B7

    Suppose you enter the house number for which you want the comments in cell
    A10, array enter (Ctrl+Shift+Enter) the following formula in cell B10 and
    copy down

    =IF(ISERROR(INDEX($A$1:$B$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$7)),ROW(1:1)),2)),"",INDEX($A$1:$B$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$7=$A$10,ROW($A$1:$A$7)),ROW(1:1)),2))

    This is not a perfect solution but just a workaround (your lists must start
    from row 1

    Hope this helps

    Regards,

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Creating Text lists

    Have you tried VLOOKUP?

    You could have some VLOOKUP formulas on an "owner" sheet
    pointing back to the data sheet to fill in the blanks.

    You would enter the name of the house in a cell and adjacent cells would show
    the info for that house only.

    For more on VLOOKUP see Debra Dalgleish's site

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP