Using cell references as text in a formula

  1. #1
    David V
    Guest

    Using cell references as text in a formula

    I have a formula, =VLOOKUP(D1,AZ!A2:C232,3,FALSE), in a cell in sheet 1 of a
    53 sheet workbook. D1 contains the name of a city. I would like to use the
    value in, say D2, (a 2 letter representation of a state or territory) to be a
    variable and replace the 'AZ' in the above formula. I can not figure out how
    to do that or if it is even possible. I don't know if it is important but the
    range will vary for each state - not the number of columns, but the number of
    rows. I could make the range length equal to the worksheet with the most rows
    if that would take care of the problem, or I would have to use another
    variable to represent the range length.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Using cell references as text in a formula

    have a look in help index for INDIRECT

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software