I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

  1. #1
    Frustrated of Great Yarmouth
    Guest

    I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    I have tried the regional custom settings but the "apply" section is shaded
    and inoperative. However the settings show negative numbers in brackets but
    when I go to Excel all it does is show minus signs !! It is so terribly
    frustrating.

  2. #2
    Unless your worksheet is locked by someone else for editing you should be able to just select the column or rows you want to change and then right click and format cells. In the number tab select number. You should see all the options there that will do what you need.

    From your post thats all I can tell.

  3. #3
    Frustrated of Great Yarmouth
    Guest

    Re: I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    The only options offered are minus signs and minus signs in red. No brackets
    with numbers are offered

  4. #4
    Jeff Beecham

  5. #5
    Jeff Beecham
    Guest

    RE: I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    Sorry about the mix up with my previous posting.

    To put negative amounts in brackets do the following:

    Hightlight the cell your working in.
    Format
    Cells
    Custom
    Type the following in the space at the top: 0.00_);(0.00)

    You will now be able to show negative amounts in brackets in that cell only.

    Regards

    Jeff Beecham Colchester

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    or if you want red and you want thousands separated by a comma
    #,##0.00_);[Red](#,##0.00)
    #,###.00_);[Red](#,###.00)

    What version of Excel and in what language are you using?
    You might want to feed a search into Google like since I don't
    remember where the problem was I'll leave the exact search to you
    excel 2000 accounting format* parenthes* French
    There might be a setting you can use that solves the problem.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#comma
    ---
    HTH,

  7. #7
    edrobbie
    Guest

    RE: I cannot get Excel to put negative amounts in brackets. Help !

    I totally agree!!! This problem has been extant for years and Microsoft
    cannot be ignorant of it. I, too , have tried every which way to display
    negatives numbers in red and in brackets. It's a snap in Quattro Pro and in
    Lotus. For crying out loud, MS, FIX IT ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!