Truncating a columns worth of cells not just a single cell.

  1. #1

    Truncating a columns worth of cells not just a single cell.

    If I have a "column A" containing +5000 entries, with each cell being a name, how do I create a "column B" next to it with each cell being the first initial of the name in "column A"?

    I know I can use the "LEFT" function in the forumla bar to convert a single cell, but I don't know how to apply it to a column with a cell range so I dont' have to do this +5000 times, and worse - on about 113 different spreadsheets.

    I tried clicking on "Column B" and entering LEFT(A1:A5231) after the "=" sign in the formula bar, but as soon as I typed the colon it said invalid character. It was acting like I couldn't use this to create a formula for the column.

    I'm sure there is a way to do this for a column if there is a function that will do this for a cell.

    Please help.

  2. #2
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: Truncating a columns worth of cells not just a single cell.

    Hi,

    In Column B , you should use =LEFT(A1,1) and copy it down to all the
    values in column A.

    Regards

    Govind.

  3. #3