Wildcard search functions within Vlookup

  1. #1
    Benn
    Guest

    Wildcard search functions within Vlookup

    Hi
    I'm trying to set up a search function that can return non-exact matches,
    for example I have a database of hospital account details, I have already set
    up a search by name facility that will bring up all the details of the
    account when you accutrately type in the hospital name. But to make it more
    user freindly I need to search on partial names, eg. to get Addenbookes
    Hospital I currently need to enter Addenbrookes Hospital exactly the same.
    But I want to be able to search on Addenbrookes, or Adden or brookes......
    and it still return the correct or nearest match.

    Please help if you can this is driving me NUTS!!
    TIA
    Benn

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Wildcard search functions within Vlookup

    You could use MATCH with wildcards

    =MATCH("*Adden*",A:A,0)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Wildcard search functions within Vlookup

    You might try creating a drop down list from Data Validation.
    That way, you don't have to type anything, just click on your choice.

    Check out this link:

    HTH,

    RD